SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Please help me choose tile and counter for modern bath

kaysd
11 years ago

My designer and I had a plan for the master bath. The vanity in 76" long and has a 12" high x 4" deep ledge behind/above the counter, similar to these:

Contemporary Bathroom design by San Francisco Architect square three design studios

Modern Bathroom design by Seattle Architect Bosworth Hoedemaker

The vanity is walnut with slab drawers. The floor is to be Cotto d'Esta 16"x24" tiles in Via Tornabuoni (medium gray). The shower is a 3-wall alcove with a 58" wide back wall and 40" wide side walls. The side walls are to be done in super large format "tiles" of Kerlite in the same Via Tornabuoni color. The Kerlite comes in large enough sheets that there will be no seams on the side walls. The back wall of the shower is FAP Velvet 22"x11" Blue tiles run vertically. (The lines on the tiles give an effect of water running down when placed vertically.) The Velvet mosaic with blue, light blue and white square tiles would be used on the shower floor and the vanity ledge. The vanity counter is supposed to be white quartz. (DH hates engineered stone, but the tile patterns are too busy to pair with natural stone, and there won't be a huge expanse of counter once the 2 sinks are cut out.)

My fabricator has a remnant of white quartz that will work for the counter (Eco Polar Cap). He also has a remnant of Azul Macaubas, which I love but could never afford if it were not a remnant. I think the Via Tornabuoni will still work for the floor tile and shower walls, but the blue Velvet tiles will not work with that counter. If I use the Azul Macaubas for the counter, I will also use it for the ledge so that more of that beautiful material is visible. In the shower, I could use large sheets of the Via Tornabuoni Kerlite in 3 horizontal stripes on all three walls, with 2 narrow bands of blue mosaic between the wide gray stripes and the same blue mosaic on the floor.

I am really torn. I love the Blue Velvet tiles; they are a dark aqua with a soft, watery quality. I am not crazy about white quartz counters, though (at least not what I can find as remnants). I also love Azul Macaubas, but I would have to find a coordinating mosaic tile to use in the shower, and this color scheme would have a lot more gray in the bath than the original plan. I hope to be in this house for many years, but there are some family issues that might dictate a move, so re-sale appeal is a secondary issue. Which of the 2 color schemes would you choose? (See pics below.)

Option 1:

FAP Velvet field tiles (to be used vertically on back wall of shower) and mosaic:

Mosaic for ledge and shower floor:

Eco Polar Cap for counter, with Via Tornabuoni for bathroom floor and shower side walls:

Eco Polar Cap with Velvet field tile sample:

Eco Polar Cap with Velvet mosaic sample:

Option 2:

Azul Macaubas for counter and ledge:

Azul Mac shown with Via Tornabuoni:

A pattern similar to this on the shower walls, but in Via Tornabuoni with a blue mosaic:

Blue mosaic might be something like this:

Contemporary Bathroom design by Other Metro Tile Stone And Countertop MIDS TILE

Or this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Via Tornabuoni

Comments (9)