SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hannahptl

PLEASE help me choose countertop color asap!

mathnmusic
7 years ago

The plywood top is in, I need to decide countertop today, would truly appreciate your help! I love a warm yellow kitchen, want the kitchen to feel friendly, welcoming, happy. What color countertop would look harmonious in my kitchen? The photo shows the kitchen today, with the yellowish tile pattern floor, SW Accesible Beige walls, white cabinets (Ikea Bodbyn off-white). Not much natural light, there are two 18x36 inch windows flanking what will be a dark brown wood hood cover in the middle of the back wall, so please imagine that dark brown hood cover there. I haven't chosen the backsplash yet, will choose after the countertop. Should I go for a uniform light yellow quartz to achieve the happy warm effect, or will that look too similar to the floor and make the kitchen too yellow-brown warm? Or should I do a pale grey quartz for some contrast with the floor (we had considered Caesarstone's Piatra Grey but decided it was too dark for our closed-in and light-challenged layout)? Or could we do my husband's favorite, a marble-looking quartzite called Namib Sky (white background with large grey veining and swirls), or is it too much pattern clashing with the patterned floor tile? I'm so confused, please help!

Comments (43)

• highdesertowl
    7 years ago

Not sure this would be of interest if you really want the "vein" look in your countertops--but Samsung quartz in "Adirondack Birch" looks beautiful with SW Accessible Beige (I can't really tell how it will look with your new floors). It really lent itself well to the happy, welcoming, "farmhouse" look we wanted in our kitchen. And depending on your hues, yellow accents can look very pretty on cream colored countertops :) Good luck with your kitchen, it looks beautiful so far!

mathnmusic thanked highdesertowl
  • herbflavor
    7 years ago

yellow quartz? don't see that at all with blond wood floor and camel walls. Personally, I'd choose a very dark counter to anchor your space...there are mostly light surfaces here, a dark counter would be good balance. If that won't fly for you, then then just a whitish quartz or granite...veining in a light gray won't stand out, and the intensity will compete with floor.....in other words, create a lot of contrast with a very dark counter or stay very light-whitish family with flecks or speckles.Good luck....it is a light space, don't fear more intensity with a counter.

mathnmusic thanked herbflavor
  • Related Discussions

OT: Please help me choose tile and counter for modern bath

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Maggie, I snapped that picture at Bedrosians. I didn't write down the name because I just liked the idea of the pattern, but looking at their website I think it was one of the Eclipse glass and marble mosaics, maybe Eternity or Marina. Here is a link that might be useful: Eclipse
    ...See More

Please help me choose a countertop to go with this backsplash

Q

Comments (20)
    If budget was a consideration for the Eco Cosentino Iron Ore, it will probably be a factor with a real blue granite. Besides, if you want your bs to stand out, I'd let it be the one strong blue element in the room. I'd like the Blue Volga or Blue Pearl because the blues in those are subtle and won't shout for attention. If you have the blue granite picked first, I'd want a calm bs. If you try to have too many stars in the room, then it gets noisy. We have Corian in their Rain Cloud pattern and it has a marble like vibe but it also has some small amount of taupe-ish beige. You would have to see if its soft white works with your cab's paint color. Here is a mellow pic of our counters. There is more color to them IRL but from the distance, they do look like a soft white. I am posting pix of this and linking to another one below to give you an idea of the color range to go with your tiles. You could find the equivalent in stone, but we are happy with the Corian. (try to find the seam.. even blown up big it is well done) I could also see a counter with an orange beige tone in it. That would work with the wood look floor and still pair with your cabs and bs. Here is a link that might be useful: Corian Saffron
    ...See More

Help me choose countertop...educate me please!

Q

Comments (2)
    Nikkidan, There is also marble, soapstone, and a couple of others that some here on GW have used such as cement, stainless steel, and even copper. Just the large number of choices makes it kind of overwhelming at times, let alone that each one has its own unique qualities. Maybe start with thinking about what you have now and what you don't want. Think about what your budget is and what your might look good with your cabinets. I think many people do granite, which I found to have a lot of earth tones in them. Granite does hold up to many of the kitchen issues like heat, staining, etc.... I found on GW that there were many willing to use soapstone and marble too. One reason I did not look at laminate or corian was because I thought you could not use an undermount sink with them, but I could be wrong there. Maybe find some inspiration photos on line or on GW finished kitchens or think about what you like in your family/friends kitchens. I used quartz, which is somewhat heat sensitive, so no pots right off the heat. I loved marble, but for resale mostly, decided to choose between granite and quartz. Good luck and have fun with the quest for your countertop. Maybe post a pic of some of your other parts of the kitchen such as cabinets and flooring.
    ...See More

Please help choose Colors/Stain Gray Cabinet Butcher Block Counter top

Q

Comments (6)
    I would love to see how it turned out. We're doing a very similar renovation. So far our walls are alabaster and we've only purchased lower cabinets. I painted them Mindful Gray (BM). We just purchased our counter tops yesterday and they are unfinished butcher block. So now I'm panicking on what stain to use on them (our floors are Allen + Roth Russet Oak Laminate). I don't want the floors & counter tops to be too matchy and I'm considering just oiling them without staining. So many decisions!
    ...See More
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

I would find a color that is as close as possible to the cabinets and then do a pale yellow backsplash to bring in the sunny yellow look you love.

mathnmusic thanked cpartist
  • User
    7 years ago

Caesarstone Buttermilk has yellow undertones that look to be in the same color family as your floor. It's a quiet pattern that won't compete with the floor pattern. I have a similar pattern/color, Pentalquartz Botticino, with yellow-toned tile floors with a lot of movement. I found it was very important to have the counter coordinate with the tile floor, that the undertones match. Gray would look off with your yellow-brown floor.

This is Buttermilk.

Minnetonka kitchen · More Info

mathnmusic thanked User
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Paint your walls yellow and stick with a white Corian or marble-look Quartz countertop. White Corian leaves you with the most options.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but why wait til in a time crunch to decide on such a big ticket, somewhat permanent feature in a kitchen?

mathnmusic thanked Anglophilia
  • mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Anglophilia - you asked why I'm choosing countertops so last minute. Well, the short answer is our house purchase (our first ever) was a sudden decision 10 months ago (a neighbor was moving away and sold the house to us), the I'm design challenged and didn't have any idea what to do with it. I'm researching and making purchasing decisions as we go, which doesn't work well with a lot of things (goodbye sconces and floating vanities! didn't plan for you in advance), but trying to do the best we can. Plus I had our 6th child 4 months ago and the homeschooling year has begun so it's been pretty busy...suffice it to say stress is my life right now.

• mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

herbflavor - when you say to pick a light-whitish color countertop with flecks or specks, do you think this Lusso quartz would do? I'm torn between plain outright liking the Lusso, and being afraid that there's not enough contrast with it.

• my_four_sons
    7 years ago

I think anything gray would clash with your floors. What about butcher block? I think the warmth of wood would ideally suit the vibe you're envisioning, It's hard to see your floor -- you mention yellow but it looks more like pink undertones? Color on the Internet is impossible. I would bring your tile with you and take photos of countertop options.

mathnmusic thanked my_four_sons
  • localeater
    7 years ago

You need to bring home some samples and decide in your kitchens natural light. Do you have time to do that? Lots of people live with the plywood tops for a while, it's not unheard of.

I love the idea of a sunny backsplash and a white countertop. Corian whites are really nice and with your brood and homeschooling I would imagine their durability would be a plus! Quartz is also durable but can chip if the edge gets walloped(I have teen sons I know horseplay)

Have you thought about the backsplash at all? You will need to let the countertop fabricator know if you want a matching small backsplash or not. Some people(most of GW) do not want it because they prefer the look of tile all the way down to the countertop. The fabricator needs to know, you want a tighter fit against the back wall if this is the case and you need to tell him and ensure that happens. Some people like a full splash of the countertop material, this can be everywhere or full behind just the stove, just the sink, just the two and a low 4" countertop splash everywhere else. Not to overwhelm, but you need to know these things to order the countertop.

Here are some colors you could look at based on your expressed likes(and no I dont like Lusso for your space I feel it will be busy) Cambria- Cuddington, Kirkstead, newport. LG Viatera Dover, Corian Designer White, Antarctica, Modern WHite.

mathnmusic thanked localeater
  • mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

localeater - I can't imagine putting in Corian, in our area of the Bay Area in California, it's pretty rare, I mostly see granite and quartz. But I appreciate you thinking of Corian, it looks like a great surface.

In terms of backsplash, you're right, it's overwhelming, but I've got to face it. I don't know how people make these big decisions confidently. I wish we had a kitchen designer's help in this remodel! I'm thinking of doing tile all the way up the wall, except wouldn't it be good to not have grout behind the stove? I'm thinking of big bubbling pots of spaghetti. What about doing solid space of quartz going up the wall behind the range? And 6 inches of tile everywhere else? I'm totally open to feedback and would welcome it very much! As you can probably tell, I don't really know what I'm doing and honestly, kind of scared. If we don't make the purchase decision soon, as in today or tomorrow, the next available installation date is next week and we'll have to push back our move-in date further and be on the hook for another month of rent. This is such a stressful time, I can't begin to tell you...I'd appreciate any helpful feedback very much!

• mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is my floor tile on the left, with the Lusso by Silestone on the right - too busy? I thought it was compatible, but yes, do have to wonder what to do for a backsplash then, something solid colored, or glass tile? My daughter loves arabesque glass tile...

Here they are again in another light - floor tile to the right side, Lusso on the left

• mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Are these too busy together? Or compatible?

• localeater
    7 years ago

For me(and it is my opinion) they are two similar, they are both swirly and soft. It looks like a miss. Look at monochromatic quartzs, like the ones I listed above, or speckly ones. What I used in my masterbath might work, it was SIlestone Blanco City.

What is the name and maker of your actual tile? It looks like a travertine stone look, you called it yellowish, but I am seeing brown/beige.

Do you like this kitchen? Do you like the perimeter counter or the island? Do you like the accent over the stove? I like the solid perimeter. By highlighting the dark accents of the tile it warms up the space, it is then echoed in the stove inset. You might not want a stove inset because you will have the contrast of the wood hood.

valleyheart · More Info

• PRO
    Crystal Kitchen + Bath
    7 years ago

How about Fairbourne by Cambria? It's subtle, warm and inviting.

Crystal Kitchen + Bath | Minneapolis, MN

• User
    7 years ago

I agree with localeater. I think the heavily veined quartzes have too much pattern. Fairbourne is similar to Buttermilk. If you go to a store that sells a few different brands of quartz, you'll find that they all make something like it but the colors will be slightly different. Make sure you bring the samples home.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

You say that you don't think you can use Corian in your Bay area home. Why not? Do you think it's not high end enough?

Here is one of my all time favorite kitchens...in Pacific Heights in San Francisco - pretty high end. And the counters are Corian!

You say you have 6 children now and are also home schooling. You need a VERY durable countertop that can easily be repaired. Corian meets all those needs. I'm not a fan of all Corian countertops but am of the white - it's just clean, timeless and a true classic. It's also VERY easy to keep clean, remove stains from (usually just a switch of dishwashing liquid and a Scotch Brite pad), can be repaired if something catastrophic happens, and it does not hold germs (a big plus with all those children). You can also repaint walls if you tire of them and the white Corian will go with anything. Corian is being used in more and more very high end custom houses - often very contemporary ones - as it can be made in just about any shape. If you do get them, get an integrated Corian sink as well - no nasty area for germs to gather, and if you get the big single one, it's perfect for bathing babies and even toddlers.

It's an easy choice and will leave you lots of backsplash and wall color options.

mathnmusic thanked Anglophilia
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

Have you looked at Neolith?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I think butcher block would look fantastic. Warm, beautiful, goes well timeless.

• mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

X-posting in Gardenweb kitchen forum:

Went back to the drawing board and found another option, it's a dark grey quartz with copper veining, called "Copper Mist" by Silestone. Please vote whether you think this dark Copper Mist works best in my kitchen or the light Lusso. Photos show the quartz samples next to my kitchen finishes - beige colored porcelain tile called Toscano Classico by Bedrosians, brown stained wooden range hood cover, white cabinets.

Kitchen finishes with dark Copper Mist quartz:

Kitchen finishes with light Lusso quartz:

Thank you in advance!!

• cubby14
    7 years ago

I think I'm in the minority, I like the Lusso. I think It harmonizes well with your other finishes. Of course I'm not a designer so take it for what it is, an opinion.

mathnmusic thanked cubby14
  • herbflavor
    7 years ago

either combination would work......might boil down to personal preference. I like the dark for it's stronger character and presence. Your space seems large, with no island, very open......thus I gravitate to something like the dark counter. Light issues are valid but have you dealt with under cabinet task lights...do you have adequate ceiling recessed lights?

• User
    7 years ago

Copper Mist will read as a a solid black. I've brought home samples like that and you do need a lot of light to bring out the copper/gold colors.

I like the Lusso colors because it repeats all the colors of the floor, but the patterns are too similar. My floor is a little quieter than yours and I love the almost solid quartz with it.

mathnmusic thanked User
  • mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

mayflowers - thank you so much for your photo! It's so helpful to see your floor, as it looks really similar to mine, and how harmonious that looks with your countertop. One difference is that my cabinets are white, but I can try to imagine that. I do have the option of going with a solid colored light yellow countertop quartz. But I ruled it out as being too light...here's the photo below of the yellowish quartz with my floor tile and white cabinet. Does it merit reconsidering? Would it help if I do a contrast backsplash, dove grey arabesque glass tile...

• mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

cpartist - thank you for the great tip to place the samples as they'd actually be in the kitchen! Here's are photos of the quartz samples in my actual kitchen with the other finishes (beige floor tile, white cabinets, beige wall, the wood sample on the windowsill is there to represent the wooden range hood cover that my father-in-law has built for me, it's not yet stained and we are open to how dark/light it should be - see photo below). Photos were taken at 7pm, not a whole lot of natural light at that point, so had turned on the LED recessed lights. Hoping to look at the quartz samples at the house in the daytime...

The wooden range hood cover my father-in-law built, ready to stain, imagining this will be the focal point of our kitchen against the back wall:

The Lusso quartz sample is set up on the plywood:

Lusso quartz sample set on the edge of carboard box on the peninsula, looking down to the floor:

Lusso against my white cabinets:

Next are photos of Copper Mist quartz...

• mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tiny square of Copper Mist quartz sample set on the plywood in my kitchen space (next to where slide-in range will go):

Copper Mist against white cabinet:

Copper Mist on cardboard box on peninsula, looking down past white cabinets to the floor:

The Copper Mist countertop at the store that got me interested in it in the first place:

For backsplash, I'm thinking of doing a dove grey arabesque glass tile with the Lusso quartz. With Copper Mist, I'm thinking of a white or cream arabesque tile backsplash. I'm really open to advice on this!

Also, I'm planning to do 3 planks of open shelves on the same wall of the sink, to its right where there is blank wall space. Any suggestions whether to make them wooden to match the stove hood, or white to match the cabinets?

• localeater
    7 years ago

I love the light yellowish quartz in the previous post

• localeater
    7 years ago

ETA: the more solid one, I prefer it to the Lusso and I think the copper mist reads black. I like the idea of the solid with a light gray backsplash.

• mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

localeater, really? I guess I'm surprised because I thought there's not enough contrast or interesting pattern, it's a pretty solid pale yellow. Then would you try to make the backsplash a different color for contrast, or also keep it light colored to match?

• mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

oops, just read your latest message now...interesting!

• mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

localeater, here's a photo of the pale yellow quartz against a light grey glass backsplash that the lady at the countertop store had suggested...you think something like this looks good? I'm still not over my surprise that you like the plain yellow quartz best...lol

• User
    7 years ago

I would get the 12" samples of quartz before proceeding. What is the plain quartz called? It's very similar to my Pentalquartz Botticino. I like it.

I don't think you should introduce gray even though you see gray in your floor. To my eye, the warmer colors in a mix always dominate. I think the brown/yellow floor and the gray backsplash will be a mismatch. The warm griege paint goes well with the floor but it won't work with a true gray tile. I can't see putting black with that floor either, even though there's warm coppery veins.

I think you want to fall in love with the counter like you did with the floor tile, but that creates too much pattern. What I'd do right now is work with the plain quartz and look for a backsplash tile that coordinates with the floor, one that you can get excited about. Fall in love with backsplash tile instead. I am not a fan of arabesque. I think it and other Mediterranean shapes peaked in popularity about two years ago, at least on the GW forum. What areas will get tile?

mathnmusic thanked User
  • hsw_sc
    7 years ago

I really like the Lusso as well, very pretty. It doesn't seem to compete with the floors from what I can tell, and will look stunning with your beautiful hood.

mathnmusic thanked hsw_sc
  • User
    7 years ago

Scroll through THIS thread. There is a busy element, the counter, and notice how people approached that. There are some examples of floor tile and countertop creating competing patterns, though the colors match perfectly. Same for some of the backsplash choices. Notice that what works best is when one element is very quiet.

mathnmusic thanked User
  • cpartist
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I really like the Lusso. It's light enough that I don't think it competes with the floor at all, and adds an element of interest to the counters, which you'll actually see more than the floors. There is nothing wrong with combining subtle patterns and both your floor and the lusso are subtle.

I think your original instincts were good ones.

mathnmusic thanked cpartist
  • localeater
    7 years ago

I think the Lusso or the solid quartz will work. It really comes down to seeing it in the actual space and light and personal preference.

The glass arabesque is very similar to the tile I have over my stove. :)

• mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

localeater, do you love your glass arabesque tile over your stove? Did you seal the grout, and does the grout collect grease and stains?

• daisychain Zn3b
    7 years ago

I really like the lusso and think the arabesque might work with it. I don't think the darker will work with the arabesque (and it's just too dark).

mathnmusic thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • localeater
    7 years ago

mathnmusic- I still love my backsplash as much today as when it was installed 3 years ago. I was ABB for about a year while I figured out what I wanted. I only used the glass arabesque over the stove, they compliment the handmade crackle subway and add a wee bit of sparkle to my kitchen which is not sparkly in any other way(which suits me perfectly). I used one of those stain resistant grouts, I didnt seal it and I have no problem with staining. And I cook A LOT; I make big tubs of sauce, I can tomatoes, I pickle(and tumeric is a killer for staining), I make beets(another big stainer). I just wipe it down, probably not everyday. My DH is generally in charge of kitchen cleanup, I go in and do detail cleaning once a weekish.

• mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen! I'm jealous of all that beautiful wood. The character of the wooden beams and wooden base cabinets bring such warmth and personality, it almost feels like the outdoors are coming in. I had looked under your name in the finished kitchens blog to see if you were there, really appreciate you sharing the photo. Your backsplash is so pretty, just the right amount of bling and lightness. Where did you find it? I'd like to do he same thing, with subway glass tile everywhere except right behind the stove, do arabesque there. If I had a kitchen like this, I'd want to cook a lot too. =) Love hearing that cleanup is easy with a stain resistant grout, that's a great tip, I'll be sure to ask for that too, Was it an epoxy grout?

• mathnmusic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love the way you trimmed out your windows with the top wood trim...it's got me thinking! Maybe I should tear out the white trim on my 2 kitchen windows (they're the only windows in the house that are trimmed on all 4 sides, otherwise, all the other windows in the house only have an apron on the bottom), and trim them with wood on top like you did, as well as my pass through. Seems like that would also help to tie in the wood hood into the rest of the kitchen. I saw that Joanna Gaines likes to do the brown wood top trim too, and it's always gorgeous. Don't know why I didn't think of doing this before...

• PRO
    OBX Specialties, Inc.
    7 years ago

Did you finish this project? I would love to see the outcome... I would have recommended the Lusso with the Dove grey arabesque. I hope you post a picture and thank you for sharing this project ;)

• lisa1303
    5 years ago

what did you decide? can you share photos?