SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lablvrs

Antique Walnut bed: Polish or Wax?

lablvrs
14 years ago

I recently purchased an antique walnut eastlake style bed to use in our guest room. The previous owner has had it for 50+ years, and they purchased from an antique shop. She took very good care of the bed (clean & little to no damage), but did not know if it had ever been refinished. So, I have no idea if the finish is original or not, or what even what type of finish is on the wood (if any beyond the stain). The bed really looks like new for as old is it likely is. However, the headboard appears slightly "dry" in its finish. There is no visible damage & the stain color appears good, altough possibly lighter than the footboard. I don't know if any protective coating was applied & has worn off over time, or what. Mostly, I just want to take care of the bed to preserve it for furture generations.

I don't think it needs a refinish at this point in time. I understand the need to maintain relative humidity and avoid sunlight, but what else do I need to do to care for this beautiful antique? (its my first piece of antique furniture) I've read several places that a coating of premium furniture paste wax applied 1x/year is best. However, a local restorer also recommended Guardsman product. I went looking for a Guardsman paste wax and can't find one. I guess they make a furniture cream polish and a spray wax (not paste wax?). But now, I've also read that paste wax & polishes do not mix.

So, should I go with a Guardsman (or other) polish or should I try to find a quality paste wax (any brand recommendations?). Mostly, I want to clean & protect the bed. If protecting can't be done without refinishing it, then what is the best way to care for it in the meantime?

Does the choice between polish & paste wax just come to personal preference in use? Or, is one more effective overall? THANKS!

Comments (3)