SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann_tx8

I need to restore black-finished antique wood furniture

ann_tx8
10 years ago

I have a desk and a carved Morris chair, both probably from early 1900's or even late 1890's. They, like many others of this era I have seen, have a flat black finish. I want to restore them to look like their original state.

The desk has finish damage (nail polish, cuts, gum) but is a beautiful piece.

The chair is carved with lion's feet, spindles on side, bulky piece. It is weathered to the point that its black finish is now brownish in places and I can flick that finish off with fingernail in small pieces. It has evidently been stored in very hot place for long time, and maybe even exposed to dampness (not rained on; just probably a very humid place). Where the finish is rubbing off, I can see grain that looks like oak. The wood is very dry to the touch.

Will appreciate advice on (1) how to prepare these old pieces for restoration and (2) what the "black" finish might be...stain, aged varnish, whatever. (3) What can I use to duplicate that look from that era--the black finish. (4) What products are on the market now that can be used to accomplish this? (5) What final product to use for protection that will make it have the same look it would have had "back then."

I have gone to antiques stores and although I see similar pieces, no one knows about the finishes. I've gone to paint stores and big-box stores and have received no help.

Thank you for any consideration. Ann

Comments (12)