SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sanjeev_gw

Steam Shower Problems

sanjeev
16 years ago

I have a couple quick questions on steam showers that I was unable to find the answers to by using the search function.

The first problem is that the steam generator used for the master-bath in a new home build is way too small for the shower size and materials used for the walls. After leaving it running for about 40 minutes, the steam generator would shut off after only reaching a temperature of about 90 degrees. The plumber has agreed to change the unit out for a larger size, but I want to make sure this time it will actually be the right unit for the shower. The unit that is in there now is a SM-8 from Steamist, and he wishes to change it for a 15-50P (I think) from Thermasol. The shower is 7'L x 4.75'H x 8.5H with granite tiles and an outside window. Does anyone have any recommendations on what manufactures that would be good? I was unable to find out too much on Thermasol, and Steamist reviews are sparse as well.

The second problem/question is should the steam shower be relatively airtight, or are gaps needed in the door? The builder has said that there needs to be air exchange and that is why there are gaps in the steam shower in the basement door, but when I asked him why there are no gaps in the master-bath door or seal, he replied they are there, but you just can't readily see them.

And finally onto the third problem. Although I was able to quote Bill V. (Bill V, thanks for all the information you provide to the forum) and told the builders the slope specifications for the steam showers according to the TCNA handbook, they still neglected to put a proper slope in. They felt that a slope of 2" over the entire length of the shower was more than adequate. (The builder has a steam shower in his new house that does not have any slope to the ceiling.) They have agreed to fix this problem, and I was wondering if there is anything I should be concerned or aware of when they try to tackle this task. The builder has expressed that it will be easy to just frame it crate a new ceiling, but after all the problems encountered in the build, I am very hesitant to trust him.

My parents have been living in the house for a couple months now, but did not realize some of the problems until I came home to visit over Christmas. Unfortunately, I will not be back in the area for a few more months, but I hope to provide some guidance to them as they try to get these and other problems fixed.

Any suggestions you can provide are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sanjeev

Comments (4)