SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Lard / Shortening / Fat / Suet ? I'm new !

toomuchglass
11 years ago

Hi everyone ! My name is Kathy - a/k/a as Toomuchglass because I'm usually at the Craftsy part of the Garden web.

It's about time I joined this forum since we spend so much money on seed for the birds ! ( I swear , they eat better than I do !)

Here's my situation . We're an empty nester couple. We live in Wisconsin right by Lake Michigan . My husband retired a year ago. (*I haven't lost my sanity.... YET* !!!) LOL We are both die hard animal lovers , but living in the city ,all we can love are our dogs,birds and squirrels.

Since it's just me and DH - I haven't put up a tree for over 10 years now. This year , I decided to put up a real tree-- outside & decorate it with bird treats.

( no decorations inside , just outside for the birds ! )

I've been Googling how to make bird cakes ( to hang on the tree ) , but it seems there's a conflict of info . I'm confused . One site says that birds can't process peanut butter because they have no salivary glands. Most recipes call for peanut butter.

Alot of other recipes call for gelatin , but I've heard that makes the cake crumble. There is another big debate going on whether suet can be substituted with lard. What about Crisco ? Thats another discussion that confused me.

Being in Wisconsin , this time of year - all I see are Chickadees,Woodpeckers and sparrows. Do you have a suggestion for me ?

Thank you so much for your suggestions -- it's still a battle to feed the birds without the squirrels. ugh.

I'm looking forward to hearing your input !

Kathy

Comments (8)