SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Suet Escapade II

caroline94535
15 years ago

"Render therefore unto suet the thing that was beef fat." (Quote snagged from the Baltimore Bird Club web page.)

Wes is gone to a police school, so I had a low-key Thanksgiving. I did experiment with a new dish, though. I did something I've never done before; I blazed new paths; I expanded my life experiences. I...

...I rendered six pounds of beef fat!

"Why?" Well, to make more high-quality, low cost, nutritious suet cakes for my darling woodpeckers, nuthatches, chickadee-dee-dees...etc, but mostly because I had never "rendered" before.

I asked an auntie if she'd ever rendered kidney suet to make tallow candles. While not trying to insinuate she lived so long ago that tallow candles were de rigueur, I think my question might not have come across quite as I intended.

It takes a bit of time and care, but my first attempt at home made suet cakes were devoured by the birds. I made the first batch using (pork) lard I had on hand. Now it was time to step up the quality and learn an old pioneering skill at the same time.

I did manage to get the globs of beef fat rendered, strained, and solidified for the first round, but I understand I have to do the rendering/straining process a second time to ensure hard, solid suet. I'll do that this evening.

For my next project, as a peace offering to the auntie, I am going to learn to make tallow candles. An experienced friend suggested I not do this; she says tallow candles sputter, make a lot of soot, and smell.

Yes, it was a happy...if smelly, greasy, and hot Thanksgiving.

Lessons learned so far...

1. Ask the butcher to grind the raw suet at the shop for you. Mincing it with the chef's knife was a mess.

2. Use heavy paper plates to set the stiring spoon, strainer, pot lid, etc. on during the cooking process. The less items to de-grease afterward, the better.

3. Render your suet in the fall. Buy enough ground suet to make a year's supply all in one batch.

4. Render it outside on the Coleman camp stove to keep the too-rich, greasy smell out of the kitchen and house.

5. Our pioneering ancestors had a hard row to hoe.

Comments (7)