SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisy_me

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring December

daisy_me
18 years ago

Well, it's the final month of our Garden Circle. Yaya has done such a wonderful job this year keeping us all organized and in line. Many thanks to Yaya for getting this circle going, and many thanks to Sandlapper for keeping it going into 2006.

Hope everyone is having a good holiday season.

Comments (44)

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

Hi all,

Hope everyone is organised; with shopping done, and cookies made and frozen, houses cleaned and decorated, sipping mulled wine at fireside and planning next years garden. NO??? Me either. However, Yaya your December goodies are their way.
    I also figured out where the wreath came from.(a robin that petered out soon after it started)

Lil

• abcgirltx
    18 years ago

Lil, when you get those cookies done, send some my way please! I'm doing a real low profile Christmas this year, although I am definitely in the holiday spirit. Bought some new Christmas decorations which I put up, but everything I already have is still in boxes in the attic. Don't know that I'll drag any of it out, and no Christmas tree this year. I seem to spend most of my time at work or out with friends, so it would mostly be wasted. And I leave Christmas day for a week in Cancun with a girlfriend and her daughters! Woo hoo!! Can't wait!!

Pooch, loved your snow picture on the November link. Being a former Michigander, I sometimes miss that this time of year. Weather here has been Texas crazy - 81 on Saturday, 50's on Sunday, and today in the 20's with sleet. Weather folk are even predicting a slight chance of snow overnight! Mostly I expect we'll just have icy roads.

Beckster - your December box will be in the mail between now and Saturday - promise! Hope you enjoy the stuff I've picked out for you this month!

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Jan. - 2006 Garden Circle Exchange Ring

Q

Comments (108)
    Wow, Shannon/garden_witch, you sure put together a special package!! I was so excited when I saw the mailman pull up and carry my package up to the porch! Ok, well first of all, there was a card with beautiful flowers on it, and such a pretty envelope, I loved it! And I really enjoyed reading your letter, and learning more about you! I liked seeing the photo of your backyard, looks like you've sure got your work cut out for you, like I do with my yard! But you've got a great, fresh space to work with looks like, and I'd love to see more photos this summer once you've got some areas of that yard filled with all those plants from your winter sowing! And here's what was in the package: A great coffee mug with a garden-themed picture on it of a watering can and some other things, I will be using it later for my coffee; and even better, it was filled with mini candy bars! Mmmmmm.... :) I tried one of those Midnight Milky Way bars, which are made with dark chocolate around the outside, (I love dark chocolate, the richer the better,) and oh my goodness was it ever good. I'd never tried those before, and now I'm really wishing there were more than two! I NEED more!! Must... go... buy... more.... see, look what you did to me, Shannon! LOL. Okay, moving right along. A pretty pot with hand-painted flowers on it that I love, (I love pots, and am always wanting more of them, so it was perfect!) And in the pot, was a baggie of several different kinds of seeds that I can winter sow, (woohoo, I love seeds! lol) and a beautiful anklet with jade colored stones in it, which is great because green is my favorite color, and I love jade colored things. Then there was a beautiful little garden ornament, which is right up my alley, I absolutely love those types of things! I have to find a special place to hang it now... Also, some pretty faerie gifts tags and book plates, a wonderful smelling homemade candle, (it is lit as we speak,) and last but certainly not least, a great gift! It was a bag labeled "Seed snatching kit." And in it, was a little notebook, a really cool gel pen that writes in several different colors, some seed envies, and a pair of Singer thread snippers, which I never would've thought to use for this purpose, but it is just perfect for snipping off seed pods! They will go to great use, that's for sure. And a couple of the gifts were inside these very pretty handcrafted bags, which I just love. And Shannon, where on earth did you find that alien wrapping paper? LOL! I love it. :) Everything is wonderful, and I am very thankful that you are my new pal! ~Summer
    ...See More

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring - February

Q

Comments (64)
    Boy have I been a non-existent hostess this month! Work has been really crazy. Corporate keeps coming up with these extra team building type projects for everyone that are really cutting into actual work time! I'm not sure when they expect us to get our actual work done... Thanks to everyone for the Birthday wishes! It was a good day. Went to the Orchid Show at the Botanical Garden, then out for pizza at a delicious brick oven pizza place. Happy Belated Birthday and thank you to Dee/Faintheart! My B-day Sis sent me a cute little garden tile for my birthday. Hope you had a good day also. I was dreading my b-day a little this year also....I'm watching the years tick away and I'm not liking it too much! Deb/Debbya thanks again for the wonderful box you sent this month! I love the windsock, it's going to look so cute blowing in the wind! And the Candy was of course a big hit, always is. Did you make the soaps? They smell divine! Thanks also for the birthday packets of seeds. I'm going to be busy, busy, busy planting them this weekend. It's a great selection. Jeanne/Sandlapper, thank you for the birthday seeds also! It was really good to hear from you. I'm starting a lot from seed this year so that was perfect timing. :-) ------------------------------------- Now for Garden Circle news.... We've unfortunately had someone have to leave the circle this month due to personal reasons. The people affected will receive an e-mail from me tonight with the information for your new pal. And as a reminder, if you did not hear from your pal in some way, shape, or form this month please let me know as soon as possible!
    ...See More

UPDATE: September - Garden Circle Exchange Ring

Q

Comments (92)
    Marie, congratulations on your new grandniece. Did you get to see her this weekend? Deb, I was out of town most of last week, headed Tuesday back to Dallas for work. Your box arrived Tuesday, so I got to sort through it on my way to the airport. Haven't had a chance to post until now. Thank you for all the wonderful stuff, I'm gonna find places for them today or tomorrow before I head back to Dallas for hopefully my last work trip. I received tulip bulbs, and I hope they ARE red - those will be spectacular! Also purple hyacinth bulbs, daffodil bulbs, and bulbs for bearded iris "Music Maker". These look beautiful, sort of a deep purple-black color. And then some orange tiger lily and purple (or purple and white) iris. Plus seeds for several different flowers. Another great box Deb - thanks for your generosity! Y'all have a great week! Alicia
    ...See More

UPDATE: Garden Circle Exchange Ring November

Q

Comments (86)
    hmmm, some confusion to say the least. #1 confusion - who my pal was. boy was i off. and i have to admit you did the greatest job of keeping me off track. i have to thank you ever so much for all you have shared with me throughout the year. my gardens will forever remain gorgeous because of you and my heart will forever be filled with smiles at your kindness and geneorsity. #2 confusion - ruth/lil -- i didn't send that. i had ordered something for you back when it was your birthday that never was shipped but it wasn't from maine. i mailed your package out yesterday. i can't be that out of it that i don't remember ordering you a wreath LOL but then again! someone else deserves that credit and it sounds like a great gift. sure hope you enjoy the one i really sent! yaya, you will be missed. you really ran a tight ship and i so appreciated being a part of this group. i must admit, for a while there, i thought you were my pal. now i see how wrong i was. go figure. since i have been full of doom and gloom this year, a year i can't wait to end, i have some happy news. we got a new pup. he's a total freak, into everything, so mischeieveous, a pain in the butt, but so playful and sweet. i do think he's missing something upstairs, unless i just don't remember "puppy". already he's so spoiled. but it's just wonderful to have an animal in the house again. it was only a short period of time, but i certain missed having that special something! now the better news -- even though i am a youngster myself (LOL), i'm going to be a granny! i can't wait. things weren't done the "conventional" way, but what the heck...it's going to happen anyway! it was truly a good thanksgiving! it's been my pleasure belonging to this group. i'd love to stay in, but with the way things have been, i feel it would be unfair of me to commit for another full year. rose - i wish you as much success in running the group as yaya had. i'll even come around and sneak a peek and chat a bit. be well all, talk to you soon :) happy holidays earthly
    ...See More
  • sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

Twinkle,
    Your December package was mailed yesterday. It has been fun sending to you and I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a safe holiday season.

Sandlapper Rose

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

Earthly,

Your true December package arrived today. You have singlehandedly filled in my Iris graden this year. Thank you so much for all the neat gifts: CANDY, more iris, a seashore picture frame and a beautiful iris dish. You've been a true pal. I'm sure we'll meet again round the forum.

Ruthie

• yayagreen2000
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone,

thanks for starting the December Thread Daisy, I totally forgot.

This December has been real good in the landscape business, yeah, but keeping me busy. I have most of my presents bought, although we don't do a lot of exchanging.

Before we sign off for the year I wanted to give you guys all a couple of websites for you to add to your favorites.

The first is my website.....it has been on the agenda all year to add a very comprehensive portion that shows my garden, but since my husband is the web designer, well, the cobbler's children have no shoes you know. So I wanted to give you the address so you can check back next year, maybe in the spring, to see if I have added the section. It will go over all the huge construction and all the plants I have and everything. Right now one of the most interesting projects on there is the St. Louis Arch project which I did in 2002. There is a link on the main page that says Arch press release, there are some pictures of it if you follow the link. Just so I don't get picked up by the screeners in case there is some reason I shouldn't post this, please add the three w's before and the dot com after. to the following domain name.

acornlandscapes

The other website is my husbands music website. After his Chemo treatments this summer I asked him if there was anything that he wanted to do in his life that he hadn't done, and he said make an album, so he did, and it is finished! He has a terrific voice (we met in college when he was in a band and I was a groupie!!!) He has an acoustic style, kind of like James Taylor mixed with Eddie Vedder and I think the target market of the music, those who would most like it, is women between 30 and 50. I wish he could play on Oprah, that would be the perfect audience. Check out the website, you can hear samples and see if you would be interested in the CD. A portion of the profits will go to the Lymphoma Society. again, add the w's and the dot com. to the following address.

djdeweese

Let us know if you like the music, there is a guestbook there you can send us a note.

By the way, we had our first snow today, there were TONS of red cardinals at the bird feeder, about 5 at a time, mixed with about 20 other birds, I have never seen so many birds at my feeder, I took lots of pictures.

YaYa

• abcgirltx
    18 years ago

YaYa -

nice websites! I have added acornlandscapes into my favorites, and will definitely check back to see what else you add. I love the concept of what you're doing, and have the hope that someday I can get out of the corporate world and make a living doing garden design. However, at the rate I'm going, I will be 60 before I know what I need to know and am able to do it.

Haven't had time to listen to all the stuff on the djdeweese site, but from the few short sips I took, I like it!! Nice voice, nice tunes - and your hubby is CUTE! Does he have a brother who's available and interested in a nice Texas gal?

Alicia

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

Ya Ya-Thank you for telling us about both your sites. Loved the music. Lots of tallent there. You did a wonderful job on your landscaping. I love to see before and after pictures. I need lots of help in designing my yard, it is so big I just go out and tell DH go get the tractor and dig this up. Definetely need to get serious and tie it all together somehow.

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

Just a quick post to Shirley As we have both said wish we could of been pals for a longer period of time. I have 2 packages ready to go out on Monday so keep your eyes open!!
    Do you have a birthday this month?? I thought you did but I can't find it posted on your member page.

I also was a secret pal to Teresa in Ohio whom I really enjoyed sending to! I am glad to see that she still posts once in a while!! Hey what happen to Dusty?
    Gabby is just adorable!!

Thanks to everyone for making this a fun filled exchange over the past year. I am looking forward to keeping in touch with many of you!!
    Also a big thanks to my special secret pal!! I am so glad to see that you will be here for 2006 exchange!! That way I can be updated on your wherabouts!! I sure have enjoyed being your pal!! I appreciate all the letters and gifts that you have shared with me. You are a great letter writer!! Thanks for sharing so much with me. Keep us posted on your dog training!! I just love that idea!! I'll sign up for a reject!! Can't give away her secret but she did a great job on the postmarks!! Kepted me guessing for some time!! Thanks for adding so often the extra sunshine I so needed for that day!! I plan on keeping in touch!!

YaYa nice sites! Thanks for sharing them with us and of course thanks for being such a wonderful hostess!! Please visit us in 2006!

Happy Holidays to each of you!

• yayagreen2000
    18 years ago

Hi Pal,

thanks for the great Christmas month surprise. I recieved a crocus forcing kit and an amaryllis forcing kit. How did you know that this was the first year I was without an amaryllis?

Thanks for all the sweet surprises you have sent, I know we weren't pals very long, but I really enjoyed having you!

YaYa

• pastvast
    18 years ago

Firstly, a note of thanks to the Mellen who's been my secret pal this year!! I received your box over the weekend, and there were all sorts of great goodies along with a nice christmas card note. I had been wondering how to plant the oriental lilies you sent... and just had the idea to pot them up and put them outside! OK... everytime I opened up the box with the hershey kisses in it, I imagine a chorus of angels singing and light coming out of the box. I've been very selfish, and haven't told my husband about them!! I didn't realize that hershey kisses came in so many different flavors.

Jan, I haven't forgotten about you this month. I've got your box on the dining room table almost ready to go. And then I think about another great idea for something else to include. I promise that by the end of the week it will get closed up and mailed to you!!

Take care everyone and have a Merry Christmas!!
    -Stephanie

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

Daisy Me-Kelli your December package went out today. Hope you like it. Wow this year flew by. I have enjoyed being your secret pal and hope to see you post in 2006.

Jan-Yes I do have a December Birthday. It's the 24th. I was Mom and Dad's Christmas baby but I have never liked my Birthday. Everyone is to caught up in Christmas for Birthdays. I will let you know when the packages arrive.
    Thanks for the short time you were my pal.

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, you're definitely ahead of me, Shirley. I promised Earthly I'd mail hers last week and I still haven't done it! :-( This time of year is so busy, and we're going out of town for a couple of days (no worries, it's only 2 days and my mail is being held), plus there are presents to wrap, and cookies to bake, and puppies to take to the kennel, and shopping to do, and only ONE of me! I'll keep an eye out for the box before I go, but may not get it until Monday when I get back.

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

I got my Christmas package from Ya-Ya today and want to thank her first for being a wonderful secret pal all year! I couldn't have asked for a better one. I guess it goes along with her being our fearless leader. Oh, and what a wonderful job she's done. I never realized that something could run so smoothly for 13 months. Kudos to our Ya-Ya!!! You do know that ya-ya means "old grandma" in Greek, right? lol
    Now to tell you all what I got from my Santa Pal:

The cutest seasonal hand made cards in a little file box with buttons and a wrap string. Did you make these yourself Ya-Ya and are they your design? Either way, they are adorable. Then there was a magnetic notepad. I was happy to get that because I'd just decided to take my notepad to work with me. A book by Diane Ackerman titled 'Cultivating Delight A Natural History of My Garden'. I can't wait to read it. Then there was an Air Pressure Cork Popper to help me open that bottle of wine come New Year's Eve. I loathe trying to open wine with a regular cork screw and the cork break up in the bottle. Thank you so much Mary and please keep in touch. I've enjoyed your friendship this year and your cards have been the best part of it. They put the personal touch on each package you sent.

I also checked out your websites. You've done quite a bit on yours since I last looked at it. Great job! Your husband does have talent. I sure hope he makes it in the big time so we can say we knew him when. ;-)

Beth, I haven't forgotten you and I have been in touch but was kinda waiting for you to get back with me on the last email I sent you.

I hope you all are having fun shopping and doing all of the holiday things. I've still got a lot to do and the kids will be home for Christmas. I'm so looking forward to it since they were with her family last year and came here later.

Take care everyone!

Nancy

• yayagreen2000
    18 years ago

Hey llsonshine,

Thanks for buying a copy of my Husband's CD!

YaYa

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Paul, two of the brug cuttings I got from you are sending out leaves. went to check names and three of them have leaves dr seuss, v something and buried name on third, one is dried up and dead, little stick that one is pink beauty but is sending something up from underground. my three plumerias have all dropped their leaves, I hope they are ok, I think I may have over watered, a bad habit of mine.My pal Alicia should have gotten her pkg today, oh well hopefully tomorrow, I got my new partner I am going to miss sending to Alicia, she is a fine lady and a good poster.

• yayagreen2000
    18 years ago

Thanks for the christmas card Luna Moon, that sure was a surprise, I appreciate your thoughtfulness!

YaYa

• abcgirltx
    18 years ago

I received my December box from Carol when I got home from work on Friday, thank you so much Carol for your thoughtfulness. She included a lovely gift set with bath stuff, bulbs of hyacinth, muscari and daffodils (got to think where to plant those, maybe around my mailbox), this cute little plush reindeer guy wearing a christmas hat and scarf, and chocolate! She has been a wonderful pal, and whoever gets her as their sending pal in the 2006 group is going to be very lucky.

I think I finished my Christmas shopping yesterday, now hope to finish my wrapping today, and get a few things in the mail as well. They'll arrive after Christmas I'm sure now, since I'm so late, but oh well. This month has just gone by way too fast.

Hope y'all have a great Christmas, and that God blesses you and your families at this time of celebration and joy. Me? I'm really looking forward to my trip to Cancun, leave in 1 week!!!

It's been lovely being part of such a great group this year, hope to see you all online in the coming year.

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

Cancun? Take me with you. When I retire (if I get to) I want to live in sunny Florida in the wintertime. It is a dream of mine. The Floridians come to the mountains in the summertime and go back to Florida in the winter. So that's definetely what I want to do.

PlantladyJan-Received your packages. Thank you so much.
    Love reading your notes to me. I got a calendar and two year planner. A christmas potholder and windchime. Thank you so much for your thoughtful gifts. Wish you and your family blessings this Christmas and in the new year 2006.

Teresa-Hope you still read these posts. Thank you for being my pal at the beginning (Teresa adopted a little girl, had surgery, so she could not continue with the group)

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

A big thanks to my pal Steph! She sent yet again another wonderful package! First things first Clyde had to sniff the box and figured out his treats and once he got his treats I could continue on. Thanks so much for the paperwhites.......I was thinking about getting some of those as I haven't had them in years! Also thanks for the goodies treats for me! LOL The Santa candle holder is so cute! Thanks for the seeds and the card also!! Thanks again for being a super secret pal!! I have enjoyed your packages every month and loved all the letters you sent!! I am glad you will be in the group for next year too!!! Happy Holidays my friend!

• beth_b_kodiak
    18 years ago

A very Happy Birthday to Nancy, Jaycesgranny. It has been fun to have you as a pal this year Many thanks and I hope we can keep in touch.
    Now,if somebody who is more clever than me will please post the CAKE so we can all sing Happy Birthday to You Nancy
    BB.

• Poochella
    18 years ago

I want to wish Nancy a very special birthday. Take time to put your feet up and celebrate being you!

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Beth! My sneaky pal- I was trying so hard to be the first to wish Nancy a Happy Bday! You have been the best of pals- I've said it before and I say it again. Many thanks for all of the wonders you brought to my home and yard. It's finally thawing out here so I will be able to get to that dueling bulb bed you proposed, and the tree decoration too! Stay tuned for photos... in about 5 months for the bulbs.

I would like to wish everyone in the Garden Circle a very happy holiday season.

• sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday, Nancy! Have a wonderful day. Are you that last biurthday of the year for our Circle members? Have no idea where my list got to...

Now, for the next item of business (LOL) - my Chrismtas package from Poochella arrived today. It was really a treat, as always. I placed the wrapped gifts under the tree for later, but I got some bulbs and a plant that will go out this afternoon, and I got some seeds - will have to decide whether they should go out when it's still cold or wait until Spring, and I got the cutest notecard and letter. The notecard has dahlias arranged like a Christmas tree. Have never seen anything like it! Annie is also sending a subrcription of Garden Gate to me - I'll be thinking of you with each issue! I also have to tell about this - Annie's little plan that she had going on this year. She kept sending parts of a picture - cut up like a puzzle and as the year went on, I got more and more of it and this month I got the part that shows her face. That was a very clever idea. The funny part was that one piece came and it showed her dog's tail and part of her Christmas tree and it looked just like my dog's tail and our Chirstmas tree! My husband agreed that it could have been taken at our house! She had lots of ideas she put into play this year... including all those birthday cards that the rest of you sent at her urging. Believe me, I have never gotten so many birthday cards. It was a fun idea and thanks to all who helped her out.

Anyway, Poochella, stay in touch. You were an absolutely awesome pal and I hope we will continue to be friends. Come to visit with the 2006 group so we will know how you are doing.
    Have a great holiday season and enjoy the special days with your family. I know it will be great to have your daughter home for awhile.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas and Happy, Happy New Year!

Sandlapper Rose

I ordered some little trees from the Arbor Day group and they arrived today as well so I'm glad it's sunny out. I will need to spend a little time outside planting. It's only 42 degrees but I know for many of you that probably sounds really warm!

• pchanggeo
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday, Nancy. Hope you have a great day.

To all my Garden Circle friends... have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2006.

To my pal April: your December package went out today, so you should receive it by Friday or so, just in time for Christmas. Ahhh... but you may have to keep thinking of us for another year... more explained in the package :-).

Best wishes,
    Paul

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday NancyHope you have a great one. Merry christmas to all
    Carol

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes! Wow I feel like the star of the show. I got a banner and a cake! Beth, I can hear all of you singing and it sounds like it's coming from all over the United States, even Alaska. Boy that is far away! It's been great sending to you and I will keep in touch.

YaYa, I couldn't have asked for anyone better who chose such terrific things to send. I've loved them all! Thanks again.

Shirley's birthday is Saturday so I'm not the last one of our group to have one.

Poochie, you do have a wonderful imagination of how to present things.

I know we've all enjoyed this group and that we'll be checking in with those of you who stay and the new ones.

Merry Christmas to all of our new friends and a very Happy New Year from me too.

Nancy

• ilsonshine
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to YOU,
    Happy Birthday Dear Nancyyyy (even if it is a day late)
    Happy Birthday to You!!! And Many Mooooorrrreeee--Cha-Cha-Cha

Sorry I'm a day late, hope you had a great day. I agree this month too has flown by, for that matter where did the whole year go?

My sweet pal, April, sent me a nice December/Christmas package. It arrived Saturday, but I haven't been online much to post, plus we've been having some technical difficulties with computers and such. She had wrapped presents inside a nice big stocking. First there was a nice, homemade (I believe) card, (you did a good job, it's cute : ) ). Next I found a neat looking Suet & Seed Cake Feeder + 2 packages of Suet. Our birdies love you. How did you know that I was out of suet and that we could use another feeder? Also included in the package was a note pad with a winter scene on it, and a neat Photo/Memo Holder made out of metal, in the shape of a flower--how cute. Thank you, April, for another thoughtful package, I appreciate it. Thank you also for being my secret pal during this 2nd half of the year. You'll have to write or email me some more info about yourself so I can get to know you a little better.

DustyDigger, if you happen to be peeking into this post, Thank You for sharing from your gardens and your heart. You, too, were a great pal. I miss hearing from you and reading your posts. I hope all is going well with the flower shop and the KoolAid Kids.

Thank you again, YaYa, for creating and hosting this group. It has been a wonderful fun year, filled with lots of thoughtful gardeners sharing their backyards with other garden pals. Thank you all for making this (my first exchange ring) a GGRrrrreat group. YaYa, I owe you some plants when the weather warms up again, sorry I didn't get them to you before the cold set in. Hey, all, if you haven't you need to check out YaYa's DH's music. Thanks Mary for the fast shipping on the CD, that was quick. He sounds great. I hope this (ad)venture works out well for him.

I too will probably peek in from time to time to see what is happening with you. Feel free to email me if you like. Sorry I won't be continuing into '06. I really need to concentrate on some things around here and DH has asked me to cut back some on the gardening so we can get some other projects worked on this year. So, I'm looking for some pretty care free plants that weather the hot/dry summers we've had. Besides that, we're in winter again and that's when I start having respiratory problems. I've had a dry/hacking/persistent cough now for 2+weeks. The Dr. had me do another breathing (pft) test and said that it wasn't asthma. That's great, but what's the problem then?! Right now she's thinking it's the acid reflux that affects my larynx (I don't have heart burn, but acid still hurts things up higher). She also thinks that I have a hypersensitive response to some tickling/itching from...

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

I for one owe a world of thanks to a pal that has treated me with so much generosity and kindness over the last year. My heart, my home and my gardens will forever be graced by your bigheartedness. I feel just saying "thank you" is an understatement, but those two simple words are expressed and meant with all of my heart. Kelli/Daisy Me, you are tops in my book. Here I am, a stranger to you, and you have showered me ~~ a total stranger to you ~~ with such bounty month after month after month. You truly exemplify the meaning of this very season, but you do not hide it away and just bring it out for Christmas, it is with you each and every day.

Let me start out by saying this was the very first time you sent a box with your own name and address on it. I never had a clue. You had me so blindsided each month and I pride myself on my "detective abilities". Boy was I fooled!

This month's box contained this scrumptious container of caramel and nut covered pretzel rods. Every time I take one out, I screw the cap on to line up with the seal so it does not look like it has been open yet  so no one else eats them! Okay, call it selfish, but sometimes I just want something to myself! There was a wonderful assortment of seeds  wish I could name them all, but I am at work and I did not write them down. I just know that they are seeds that I do not already have and will enjoy winter sowing them.

There was also a plant container that is actually self-watering. What a neat concept. I think I am going to replant one of the African violets in it, but I have not quite made up my mind about that yet. There was the neatest set of miniature tools that are just so useful. I got myself a cheapo set at the dollar store, but these surpass them by all means. In addition, there was the greatest blue glass mister bottle. I just love it. It is so perfect in so many ways, but the fact is, during the off-season, when I bring in the houseplants from outside, they always go in my "blue room". This mister is just the perfect color to coordinate with my room. Finally yet importantly was yet another wonderful card, which I will forever cherish!

Kelli, I have so enjoyed having you as my pal. You have been like Santa each and every month. You have shared so much with me and spoiled me beyond belief. I am forever grateful to you and will cherish your benevolence forever.

May God continue to bless you!

With heartfelt thanks, gratitude and a major, major hug,
    Maryanne/Earthly

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday Shirley, I am one day early but wanted to be first

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Veeja, you are faster than a cheetah!
    I will be second and just as enthusiastic in wishing Shirley a very Happy Birthday. I will think of you and celebrate each time I see one of your generously shared plants bloom for years to come.

And the cake as well because Gina might be too busy with the young ones to whip it up for you.
    Have a great birthday!

It has been most wonderful to be part of this glorious gang. I wish all of you peace and a joyful holiday, followed by a healthy, happy New Year.
    Sandlapper I loved both my cards! The running puppy takes front row honors in my card display- so cute. Want one!

And PChang, your card arrived today and is yet another marvel of your talents- very, very nice and thoughtful besides! Thanks so much.
    And to my best Pal Beth B- well, the Wicked Witch said it best: "I'll get you my pretty!" But it will be in the New Year. Have a great holiday up there in the land of the midnight sun.
    Happy Holidays to all.
    Pooch

• ilsonshine
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to You,
    Happy Birthday Deeaaarr Shirley,
    Happy Birthday to you!! and many more -Cha Cha Cha

Hey, it's quite alright for others to be quick at sending warm birthday wishes. It just happens that I'm usually up when a new day begins on the clock, so sometimes I get wishes posted right about then too. : ) HEY! For that matter, I'm still the first one to wish Shirley a Happy Birthday ON her special day!!! 8~D It also just so happens that the 24th is also my mom's birthday (76) and my brother's birthday (57)! (yes, I know... we have a big age spread in this family... my parents had my bro. 11 months after they got married and it just happened to be Mom's 19th B-Day, there were 2 sisters after him, then I came along when mom was 38 and my bro was 19, with sisters at 17 and 8.)

.Anyway, Shirley, I join the others in wishing you a Wonderfully Special Birthday filled with laughter and love and many happy memories to cherish for years to come. I have one cake cooling and another still baking. We'll pretend they're for you cause I was thinking of you when I made them. Actually they are for the "Hearts to Home" Dinner tomorrow. Our church has this ministry where those who are older or shut-in, etc, can either come to our church to have a great Christmas meal, or it can be delivered to them. I hope that those who eat the warm food will be warmed emotionally and spiritually as well, as they are served by some good, warm, friendly people trying to share their blessings and and the love of that little baby born in a stable.

• PlantladyJan
    18 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHIRLEY!!

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

Oh my where do I start. All this brought tears to my eyes this glorious Saturday (which is my Birthday). I do want to wish our Lord and Saviour also a Happy Birthday. With out him there is no hope.

Gina-Thank you for the phone call. Loved the Happy Birthday singing. Even MAx the dog joined in. Your son is precious, loved him telling me Happy Birthday. I worry about you and hope your throat gets better. You sounded hoarse on the phone. Tell your Mom Happy Birthday from me.
    Thanks for the praise report, we should always lift our Lord up in praise and song.

I know many of you remember the story about Kerry (My sons girlfriend). She's the one who started having seizures. She wrecked her car, lost her job, lost her license, fell in a grocery store and almost died from the fall. She was healed by prayers and the love of God. It has been 5 months and no seizures.

Kelli-Thanks for the Happy Birthday e-card. That was so cute. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year. Sorry I got you addicted to daylilies, LOL. Hope you see lots of blooms in June and July.

Nancy-I hope you had the best Birthday ever. I get to see you post on our other exchange group.

Carol-Thanks for the first Birthday wishes. You are the reason I have the cute name signatures. Carol is so talented and did all kinds of different signatures for us on another post. That is what is so neat about gardenweb. If somone has a talent they do for others with it. I have no clue how to get your name in a dahlia or have a pen write it for you. I just love mine Carol.

Poochella-I will never forget you and have lots of your dahlias to prove it. You are so talented in your writings. You need to write childrens books. You express yourself so well. It is so neat all the different talents each and everyone here has. You can pick up on each ones talents in their posts. I read this years ago....If you find ONE true friend in your lifetime consider yourself lucky. So true.... friends come and go and I consider everyone here a friend.

I needed all the cute Birthday cakes. My Mom called this morning and said she could not make my cake this year. That will be a first. I worry about her, she takes care of my Dad and I think it is getting her down. She has lost so much weight. Anyway on a happier note MERRY CHRISTMAS AND GOOD TIDINGS TO ALL.

• mellen
    18 years ago

My last box of gifts from my pal arrived earlier, and I did contact her to let her know that I received them. Jenell/LunaMoon, again you have sent some wonderful gifts. I absolute love the ultra soft fleece throw and the sky blue super soft comfy socks. Perfect to use on a bitter cold night snuggled in my big chair in front of the fire reading one of the two books that you sent. They look great, too. The Book of Totally Useless Information will be fun to read, and I can share some of the things that I read with my family and the kids at school. Middle school students like that kind of info. The book on Container Gardening looks awesome. I will definitely use it over and over. So many easy and beautiful ideas--JUST what I need since I am not very good at thinking up ideas myself. Jenell, I hope you knew each month when I posted how much I appreciated and loved all of the gifts that you sent. You sent so many unique items that made it tons of fun and made me feel very special. YOU are a special lady, and I thank you for a very wonderful year. I have been very, very lucky. Mary Ellen/Mellen

• pchanggeo
    18 years ago

Thank you, Rhonda. I received my box today... beautiful timing. I am going to wait till tomorrow morning to open the box. I can't open it, and make the kids wait till tomorrow :-). I appreciate you being my pal for the last few months.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS
    Paul

• sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday, Shirley! I will let the others fight over who was first to wish you a Happy Birthday... maybe I am last. LOL I'm glad you had a nice day.
    How special to hear that Kerry is doing well.
    This has been such a fun group and I know that we will continue to keep in touch.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

• lunamoon
    18 years ago

My package arrived today from my fabulous Secret Pal. I received some neat stickers made with real pressed flowers, a canister of Big Green Hojicha tea (very yummy, I'm drinking some right now), an assortment of chocolates, Crocus and Eranthus bulbs, a flower stamp, Christmas ornament, a set of sun & moon note cards and a sampler of Mary Kay products. Plus, a Beanie Baby, book and stickers for DD. Thanks Gina! I loved everything you sent!

Mary Ellen~ I'm glad you liked your package. I enjoyed being your Secret Pal and putting together your boxes each month.

Happy Holidays to Everyone!

Jenell

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Twinkle Twinkle little star, how I wonder where you are. A big Thankyou to my pal twinkle who has been a great pal for the whole year.most of all I want to know where you got the beautiful cards you sent. Thankyou fot being the perfect pal. thankyou carol

• Poochella
    18 years ago

I want to send a big THANK YOU to my pal Beth whose package arrived on Christmas Eve! Included were a little stuffed pooch complete with Santa hat LOL, an Alaskan angel pin in the form of a polar bear (I think it should be named Beth!) and a wonderful gift certificate to Heronswood Nursery which is reknowned around the NW for its unusual finds from plants worldwide! What an exceptional pal you have been ((((Beth!)))) I will be combing the Heronswood website trying to decide what to get, and no matter what I choose but I am aiming to round out my shade garden LOL, I will always remember this year of beautiful cards and wonderful gifts in the yard, home, or garden, thanks to you!
    Have a wonderful New Year everyone.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

happy belated birthday shirley, i do hope it was a good one.

and i too must comment on what a wonderful group of people have been associated in this circle. it has been a pleasure to get to know each and every one of you and most especially my pal - kelli - who has been so very generous.

i hope each and every one of you had a wonderful holiday and are still continuing to enjoy good times, good food and friends and family -- and most importantly, the real reason for the season.

may God continue to bless each and every one of you, and all those you touch.

earthly/maryanne

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

well, i couldn't walk away without introducing you all to the newest addition to our family. this is lucky - for some reason i can't adjust the eye color and it makes him look a little deranged. i can assure you he's not, but he is a freak and a biter. i forgot what it was like to have a puppy around. he is a cutie though, and quite intelligent and it's just so wonderful to have a dog in the house again.

i apologize all, this picture is awfully large when i do the preview, and i don't know how to shrink it. sorry :)

be well all,
    earthly

{{gwi:1320653}}

• sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

Earthly, thanks for sharing the picture of your puppy. I know that Lucky is lucky to be your dog!
    As we wrap up 2005, I am just wondering - Twinkle, did you receive your little Christmas gift from me? I sure hope so. It got mailed early in the month and hope it got there.

• ilsonshine
    18 years ago

.Thank you all for being such a wonderful group. It has been nice getting to know you, laughing at your jokes, crying with you over your sorrows, thinking of you as seeds sprouted and as flowers bloomed, and praying for you through all the happenings in 2005.

~~Thanks YaYa/Mary for sharing your time & effort starting our group & taking care of things in '05.
    ~~Thanks Dusty for being my 1st ever secret pal. You're so sweet. I hope all is going well with you. Please drop me a line.
    ~~Thanks April for taking over as my pal. I appreciate each of the things you've sent. Just yesterday I was looking again at the magazine you gave me as I sipped some hot tea and thought of you up in MI.
    ~~Thanks Pooch/Annie for giving us such wonderful & well written messages & laughs.
    ~~Thanks Shirley for allowing me to visit you and for sharing from your beautiful gardens.
    ~~Thanks Jenell for not minding when I was slow at getting your package mailed. Give your precious Kira and Ruby hugs and kisses from me.
    ~~Thanks Paul for sharing many wonderful pictures of your flowers. I felt like I could almost smell them. Perhaps we can work out a trade for some of your beauties sometime when it warms up here.
    ~~Thank you to each of you who shared from your heart and your garden.
    ~~Thank you to each of you for your thoughts and prayers regarding my health and loss of voice concerns in '05. It means a lot to know others are thinking enough of you to lift you up in prayer.

-- May each of you be richly blessed in this new year as you have so richly blessed me and each of us here as well as others out and about in your areas.
    -- May you have great gardening weather for winter sowing, spring planting, transplanting, weeding, mailing gifts to others, and for sitting back and admiring all the wonderous blooms that are your reward for all the hard work. -- May your blooms be bigger, brighter and more bountiful than ever before.

> ~ No matter what, may you always let the son shine, even on your rainy days. The son can brighten any dark place, just like the seed that is planted in the cold, dark soil, that then rises up from its grave as a new plant to brighten up that dark place and your life. ~~ Happy New Year & Happy Gardening ((((((pals))))))!
    Take care my garden pals and have a 2006 full of wonder and joy.

In HIS palm,
    Gina / ilsonshine

• Aprils_Garden
    18 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I just emailed my great pal Paul a thank you for the wonderful package he sent, but it took me awhile to get through no fault of his. It was filled with lots of fun stuff like a candy making kit, snowman ornament and pot holders, Christmas pencils, picture frame and soap, pretty notepaper and a flower tool which will come in very handy (I always use my kitchen shears on my flowers- this will work so much better!) There is also a wonderful mint smell coming from the mint Hershey's kisses inside. He also ordered me a subscription to a gardening magazine which I am sure I will love. I also love the beautiful hand painted card- you are so talented!

Paul, even without the magazine coming all year I will remember you. You have been such a special part of my life this year and I will never forget you.

Gina, I'm glad you liked your package and you are in my thoughts as well.

Thank you everyone for making this such a fun exchange and for sharing your lives with all of us!

April