SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grammasdaisygirl

Please help me ID this black and orange bird

grammasdaisygirl
14 years ago

I am sorry to say that none of my pics turned out well enough to post.

I live in southeast Michigan in a densely populated suburb of Detroit. I spotted a sparrow sized, chickadee shaped little bird flitting about in my lilac which is near my thisle/niger feeder. At first I thought he was a chickadee (black cap), but then I noticed that he had bright orange on him, especially around his wings and not a lot of white. My mom saw him, too, and I asked if it was an oriole and she said no but she had no idea what it was either. He was cute as a button. He landed in the lilac as I was giving my mom a garden tour, so I thought he was brave like a chickadee. He stuck around while I got my camera and took a couple pics, but when I tried to get a couple steps closer, he fled. My yard is quite shaded by three 60 year old trees (I inherited the lilac planted in shade). I have recently noticed many new wetland habitat birds in my yard. I suspect it's due to my neighbor who hasn't opened her pool in years so that it has actually become a pond.

What are my choices of Michigan birds with this description?

I searched this site as well as many others and my best guess is American Redstart. Does this sound right?

Comments (4)