SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jvillejenni

Old Eggs? New Eggs?

jvillejenni
14 years ago

I know just enough to be dangerous on this topic, so consider me a fledgling (a term that I now appreciate the full meaning of). And please forgive my naivete.

I have a birdhouse (gift from a friend) that I hung from my pergola (Mistake Number One, I now know). It was supposed to be purely asthetic (Mistake Number two). I now realize how irresponsible that notion was.

I was quite surprised and pleased to discover a bluebird nest with eggs. I was even more thrilled when I heard the babies chirping happily within.

Several days ago, my husband informed me that one of the babies was "trying to come out". We became very anxious about predators, but it also became apparent very quickly that our concern was a little late in the game. Such is the price of ignorance.

To make matters worse, the pergola is near a lake (I can imagine you all cringing and grimacing). Snakes, raccoons, cats, etc. We worried that there was almost no chance that these babies would make it to safety once leaving the nest.

The next morning, I saw the mother coming and going from the nest. She appeared to still be feeding the babies. Later that morning, I passed by and listened for them. All was quiet. The babies were gone.

I looked all about for any sign of struggle (feathers, etc.) or any plumage at water's edge. Nothing.

We did discover a baby in our fenced yard later that day, being terrorized by a neighborhood cat. We shooed the cat and kept a close watch for the cat's return. Night fell and we can only hope that the baby make it. However, there was a bluebird AND a mockingbird squawking and swooping in upset over the baby. My son said the baby looked like a mockingbird. Coincidence? Possibly.

So, here's the thing: I've decided that if I'm going to keep that house outdoors, I need to be conscientious about it's placement, care and monitoring, so I'm educating myself on the various Birding sites. After noticing the mother returning every 5 minutes this morning to the empty nest, I decided to clean it out in case she wanted to reuse it (something I read)? I will be researching extensively to determine a good location, with a baffle installed, etc.

In cleaning out the nest, I was shocked when four eggs fell to the ground and broke. One was left intact, still in the nesting material. I'm puzzled, because a) the eggs appeared to be buried beneath several inches of nesting material, as if they were from a prior laying, with the recent nest built on top of them. Could these be abandoned eggs? Certainly, I hope I didn't destroy newly-lain eggs. Is it possible that Mama Bluebird had new eggs when her fledglings just left the nest?

So all that to ask these two questions: Is there ANY chance one of those four babies made it? And, do you think those were old eggs, or new eggs?

Again, please forgive me for being Dumb Dora. I can imagine how hard it is for you guys to hear stories like this one, borne out of stupidity. Still, I promise to rehabilitate myself and be a good steward going forward.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus