Bluebird Eggs haven't hatched 21 days since eggs were found
16 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (16)
- 16 years ago
Related Discussions
Bluebird found dead sitting on nest of eggs-why?
Comments (17)Hi Kathleen- I'll address you since the other posts are old. I am so very sorry that you have experienced this. Did you read what the responses were to the older post of one that lost a bluebird on the nest? I would just repeat everything that they said. If absolutely no sign of injury, I would suspect lawn pesticides, but considering what happened to the 1st person that posted & didn't see signs of injury on her bluebird, it did turn out to be house sparrows. I would highly suspect this. Do you think the female is dead too? If so, again I would be suspicious of HOSP. Answering your question, the male would not starve himself, nor is he able to brood eggs. If the female died too, the eggs wouldn't have hatched because the female is the one to incubate the eggs. She has a brooding patch on her lower abdomen that the male doesn't have. If she is alive, she may not be returning to nest because of the failed nest situation, especially if there was foul play. Make sure you know that she is not returning before removing the nest & eggs. If she is alive, she will probably try to find a new mate. Without repeating too much, make sure your birdhouse is on a pole with a baffle & put a sparrow spooker up after the 1st egg. If you know for sure that the nest has been abandoned & you don't get any activity, you may want to change the location of the box (birdhouse). If you immediately get a house sparrow setting up shop, then you'll know that was most likely the culprit. Again, if female is not returning, now would be the time to get a Van Ert trap for your house to trap the male & female HOSP. If you do, make sure you are monitoring every hour if possible so you don't trap a native bird. They can die in there if without food for too long. One of the previous posts left a website for the Van Ert trap. Again, the previous posts left great advice for your situation. This site is not as active as it used to be for bluebirders, so you may want to post to bluebirdnut.com. Lots of bluebird experts are on that site like this one used to have. That's where I go whenever I need advice. BTW, I lived in Atlanta for ten years (live in AL now). Very sorry to hear about your bluebird tragedy. Hope you'll have another pair come for a future nesting, but definitely get that sparrow spooker!...See MoreOnly 3 out of 5 eggs hatched
Comments (2)Keith, I have the same situation on my bluebird trail at Jones State Forest. 2 babies had hatched by noon on Wednesday. Today the third baby hatched. 2 eggs are left. If I can reach them easily next week when I check, I will remove them since we are in 90+ degrees here in SE Texas. But I have just left them in earlier broods this year and nothing happened. Linda C...See Moremissing egg and late hatching?
Comments (6)What mlkbskt said is correct. A nestbox should never be mounted on a fence/tree or post of any kind unless it can be baffled. Conduit works best for mounting nestboxes on and stovepipe baffles are cheap and easy to put up. Nestboxes should also be put up at least 15 feet away from any trees. With just one egg gone I would think either House wren (are they in Texas?) or House Sparrow. The House Sparrow will usually just go in and smash the eggs and or kill babies and adults that may be in the box, however it could have gotten interrupted by the Bluebirds too. That is why a sparrow spooker is very important to put up after the first egg is laid. Sparrow spookers are easily accepted by Bluebirds. Wren guards are a little trickier though but do help if wrens are in the area. It is best to put them up during egg laying though to make sure they are accepted. The whiter end and ring on the egg is normal, I have seen it before too. A mockingbird would not be able to get into the nestbox so it would not have taken the egg. Is the hole on your nestbox the 1 1/2 inches that is standard for the Bluebird nestboxes? It shouldn't be larger to prevent Starlings or Red Bellied Woodpeckers from reaching in and grabbing eggs or babies. As far as the heat, I know it can kill nestlings if it gets too hot but not sure about affecting hatching, normally the Momma just wouldn't need to incubate as much. Day 15 is not out of the norm, I have heard of eggs going up to 20 days and still hatching. So the eggs can still be good, but if something got one chances are it could come back and get the rest. Raccoons love to reach into nestboxes and pull out babies/eggs and incubating female but they usually do it at night so the momma would be gone/eaten and probably all the eggs if it were a raccoon. Raccoons are everywhere even if you don't see them, they are there! I would keep a close eye on the Blues and see what they are doing. Are they still going to the box or not? Usually they will not give up on the nest if an egg is taken like that, so the nesting should still be ok and also they can sit on eggs a long time before they give up on them. Good luck, hopefully you can get this nestbox safe and can have a successful second nesting. Don't let the first nesting fool you since it was successful, an improperly mounted nestbox is a failure just waiting to happen. Read up at sialis like you said you were, there is tons of great info on there! Donna...See Morevery old pair and white eggs since 2005
Comments (2)Hi Ray. You sent me emails about Purple Martins awhile back and I wanted to let you know my progress. I put up martin housing. My husband got me a Coates house for Christmas, which I wasn't thrilled about, but didn't feel like I could complain about it. I put three gourds under it and then joined a few martin forums. There are people nearby that have been trying for years to get martins..they aren't prevalent in OH. I put up my housing, played the dawnsong and was amazed when I got two pairs. They both had 5 eggs. The first nest all 4/5 hatched and everything was going fine, until I found a dead baby in the nest. A few days later I did another nest check and the mother was dead on top of the other babies. I left the babies in hoping the male would come back and take care of them, but he didn't so I brought them in and kept them alive over night feeding them crickets and then took them about 40 minutes away to a martin landlord that has over 80 pairs. He put them in with other martins and they were fine. The babies from the other nest(only 3 hatched) fledged successfully. So, I had a good year. I couldn't believe my luck in having them my first year. Next year my goal is to get rid of my telescoping pole!!! I had a successful bluebird year too. I also have a white egg-laying female. Her second year. And I always have 3 nestings. So its been a fun bird year for me. Tammy...See More- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDESHow to Bring the Joy of Bluebirds to Your Garden
Attract these beautiful songbirds with nesting habitat and food sources, including berry-producing trees and shrubs
Full Story
ROOM OF THE DAYRoom of the Day: A Maine Guest Cottage Steeped in Charm
Once offering eggs for sale, this little guesthouse now offers a serene experience in a refined rustic setting
Full Story
VALENTINE’S DAYThe Real Importance of Valentine’s Day
Even small traditions celebrating love can carry through an entire life
Full Story
HOUSEPLANTSIndoor Winter Gardens for Cheerier Days
Bring plants inside for drab-days mood boosting — not to mention cleaner indoor air and protection for your greenery
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPING7-Day Plan: Get a Spotless, Beautifully Organized Garage
Stop fearing that dirty dumping ground and start using it as the streamlined garage you’ve been wanting
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSA Formerly Weedy Lot Now Brims With Edibles and Honeybees
Photographers transform their barren backyard into an oasis filled with fruit, vegetables, honey, eggs and more
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGet Organized for Holiday Baking
Before you crack that first egg, establish a game plan for stress-free success
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPING10 Tips to Streamline Laundry Day
Little adjustments to your attitude and routine can help take the wrinkles out of doing the wash
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME21 Ways to Waste Less at Home
Whether it's herbs rotting in the fridge or clothes that never get worn, most of us waste too much. Here are ways to make a change
Full Story
COLOR21 Reasons to Decorate With Purple
Whatever shade you choose — lilac, plum, mauve or aubergine — purple makes a statement
Full StorySponsored
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
griffin_MD