SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
little_dani

The adventures of Bob and Jane

little_dani
16 years ago

So Bob says to Jane "Come out and hold the shovel. There is a snake in the back yard."

Jane, like a ninney, goes into the back yard with Bob.

She is dressed in her white tennis shoes and socks, and a flowing cotton gown. Night gown that is. Blue and white stripes, more than calf length. Charming.

So Bob says to Jane "I think he is under the bath tub."

We have an old claw foot tub in the back yard, equiped with a shower head for showering off before going into the hot tub. It has an abundance of cannas, bridal veil, nandina, and other things around the feets of the tub. Just great for a snakey hiding place.

Bob says the snake is big. He thinks it is a chicken snake. I am not taking any chances. I am nervous, and trying to watch where I am standing, where the snake is, and all the while, Bob is pulling weeds with a sharpened hoe. I have the trusty shovel, of course.

ALL OF A SUDDEN, Bob says "Thar he is!". I am thinking HE is crawling across my tennis shoes, and I am running, sort of, screaming, to the back porch, carrying the shovel with me. That snake ain't gonna get me! I am blinded by fear, and mindless of what I should be doing. Bob is hollering for me to "Git back here!"

I bet it looked funny as hell, because I was aware that I was taking knee-kicking steps, real high, like maybe if I did that, the snake would miss the calf of my leg. Bob wishes he had a camera.

Well, anyway, he ordered me back to the fight, and I reluctantly returned. Carrying the shovel, still.

Bob returned to looking for the snake and located him close to the rain barrel. He was going behind the rain barrel, actually, and if he came out on the other side, he would be exactly between me and the porch. I don't know who was in greater danger, me or the snake!

Bob struck him with the hoe, and pinned him, but couldn't do any good as far as killing him in that position. It wasn't a chicken snake, but a water moccaisin. He sent me for the snake catcher, a lovely invention he made a few years ago. Finally he caught it with the catcher, but was in no hurry to kill that snake.

I always have to insist that he kill them. He gets this look on his face, and I know what that means. Bob is facinated by snakes, and would love to have one to keep for his very own. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! NOT in my house!!! So Jane starts to holler about killing that snake and he reluctantly kills it.

A big one. about 4' long.

I am so glad the excitment is over for the day. In all the excitment, and hopping around, I managed to step in doggie poo. I have to go clean my shoes.

Today is Bob's birthday. Happy Birthday to him.

Janie

Comments (20)