SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cre8ivmind

Squirrels are cool!

cre8ivmind
18 years ago

I joined this board because I someday want to design and create a backyard that is a perfect haven for all kinds of squirrels.

Squirrels are one of those creatures that many people either love or hate. Well, I'm one of the former. Every time I see one, I am just filled with joy, like I'm in heaven or something. They're little angels with bushy tails. Right now, I'm in an apartment where watching squirrels isn't very easy, but I can just go to a nearby park to watch them. I live in north Texas and the kind we have here are the Fox Squirrels. I used to live in Florida where the Gray Squirrels are more common, and the Fox Squirrels are much bigger and different in color than the ones in Texas.

There are about 65 species of squirrels in the USA and 267 species worldwide. My dream is to visit parks such as Yellowstone or Yosemite where the squirrel species density is much greater than where I'm living now. My definition of squirrel is broad; it includes all members of the squirrel family (Sciuridae), including prairie dogs, chipmunks, ground squirrels, and marmots. Many people say "rodent family" but this is inaccurate because rodents are comprised of several families. The squirrel family is just one of those families. There are other families of rodents such as the rat family, beaver family, cavy family, and so on...

For those who hate squirrels, I can't say that I have a friend in these people, no matter how squirrels have offended them. And the way I feel about the people that kill squirrels because they hate them... well, I don't really want to go on because of my religious upbringing.

Anyway, so I hope there are some of you here who love these furry little gifts from God. I am a member of The Squirrel Lover's Club, and it is always open for new members.

Comments (16)