SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raiderrick22

**BEARS (First disease, then bugs, then squirrels, now bears!!)

raiderrick22
15 years ago

Wow,

Now I have seen it all.

In spring I was spraying for disease.

In summer I was spraying for bugs.

Lately I have been catching and releasing squirrels (with great success I might add).

Now I have a MUCH bigger problem:

A bear has found my fruit trees.

Around 8/10 my neighbor witnessed a black bear (around 300-400 lbs) hanging around my apple tree.

On the night of 8/12 he tore off a branch of my 4-in-1 apple tree and ate a bunch of apples off of the tree. I promptly removed all of the apples to prevent his return (Also, I sprayed my tree with a spray that was not recommended for apples. So it was not too difficult to part with this year's crop). It didn't work.

Last night he/she came back and decided to look for more apples. In the process it torn down a more significant portion of my tree. It also decided to eat some peaches (the tree is located near the apple tree). Fortunately, the peach tree branches did not snap (they bent).

Questions:

-Does anyone out there know of a way to keep black bears away from my fruit trees?

-Is the damage to the tree too extensive to keep the scarred branch on the tree? I would like to keep the branch since it is one of the 4-in-one branches, and removing it would mean no more macintosh apples.

(**See link to pictures** - There are 2 sets. One set from 8/13 and the other from this morning)

I was thinking of installing motion sensor lightning near the tree to help scare him away, but I don't think that will work more than once.

It is weird since I have thornless blackberry bushes and he hasn't bothered them. Yet?

As you can see in the pictures I also found a very cool moth / butterfly in my yard. It's wing span was about 6".

Here is a link that might be useful: Bear damage

Comments (19)