SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
averagejoetx

New here - Intro

averagejoetx
16 years ago

Hello all! I'm new around here and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Joe, and I moved to Devine (outside of San Antonio) about a month ago from zone 9b in Fort Pierce, FL. I'm finding the transition from acid to alkaline soil a bit aggravating, but I'm taking it a day at a time (is there a 12 step program or something? lol) I've been told that most of the plants I brought with me (plumbago, rosemary, crape myrtle, and zephyranthes lilies to name a few) will adapt okay, but apparently my ixora will languish and die in the ground without a supply of acidic additives. So I suppose it is relegated to a container for the rest of its days.

We also inherited about 5 crape myrtles when we moved in - complete with powdery mildew. And we had 6 chinaberries, until the storms destroyed 2 of them. One was ripped out of the ground, and the other was split in half.

I do have a couple questions: is there an abnormal number of spiders in these parts? It's getting to the point that I have to beat the webs back with a stick just to get off the porch in the morning.

I was also wondering if anyone grew peaches in this part of Texas. I'm looking at 'Bonanza II' for a container, but I'm not sure of the amount of chill time we get here. Any recommendations?

Oh, and one more if y'all don't mind. What kinds of Narcissus do well here? I don't want to force any, but I would like to plant a few in our yard.

Anywho, unfortunately, I missed the plant exchange this Spring (we had just moved in) but I'm looking forward to it this fall.

Sorry for the long post! I appreciate any advice you could give me...

--Joe

Comments (27)