SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chuckiebtoo

Tragedy is always lurking

chuckiebtoo
18 years ago

Everyone has heard the sad stories of the results of leaving a tiny loved one in a car, "just for a moment", when the temperatures are August and the moment turns into the horror story I am compelled to tell all of you...hoping someone will remember it next time a quick, thoughtlessness creeps up.

NO!!! I didn't entrap my daughter in that oven of a car...she's 31 and capable of getting out when it starts to warm up inside. It was a couple of plastic bins of red wigglers in the back of my van this past Saturday left at 5pm to die in Austin, TX 90-ish late afternoon heat...but it still hurts, you know.

All didn't broil to crispiness...only the ones who made a run for it, and maybe half those trapped like, well, worms, in the bedding of the bins. Let me say that the bins were in great shape with good moisture content, and were cool to the touch an hour before the disaster left my worm empire survivors completely distrustful of my ability to keep them out of harms' way.

When I was recovering the survivors, (another story for another time, and a task I'll never do again), I could tell the catastrophe had turned them against me. An overwhelming feeling of hatred was pervasive in the bins, as was the unavoidable guilt I felt for a momentary lack of reason.

After years of worming, this is my first mass evacuation, and, as I promised the survivors, my last. BTW, roasted red wigglers in the back of a van create a remarkable and indescribably ODOROUS aroma that you will immediately recognize should you ever slow-cook some.

FYI, the outside temps were about 90 when I parked late Saturday afternoon with two windows cracked. Inside? Maybe got to 100 before dark. The beds had lots of newspaper bedding where most of the survivors were found chillin' Sunday morning.

Chuckiebtoo

Comments (10)