SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Leaf-Lurking: Tips for Gathering Compost Materials

sylviatexas1
16 years ago

Someone suggested that we share our tips for picking up compostables for our gardens.

Here are some that come to my mind:

Wear gloves;

barehanded, I once grabbed a bag that had been marked by passing dogs, & it's an experience I don't want to repeat.

Sunday evening is a good time to leaf-lurk;

lots of people work in their yards on the week-end & set out the leafbags on Sunday evening.

Shop the night before trash pick-up.

In my area, it's Monday & Thursday, so I check on Sunday evenings & Wednesday evenings.

Remember holidays:

The day after Halloween is a perfect time to pick up "second-hand pumpkins" & straw bales.

Turn on your headlights, blinkers/flashers, & radio.

It makes you look like you aren't being furtive.

In the same vein, visit with any dogs that come to investigate.

Smile & wave & speak to any human beings you encounter.

Say, "Hi!, I use leaves & stuff in my garden!"

If you have a small car, do what a friend does:

keep a couple of broomsticks, cut to the appropriate length, in your trunk, & use them to prop up the trunk lid so you can stuff in the maximum number of bags without having the trunk lid flop up & down.

Wear gloves when you open the bags, too.

People don't sort their trash according to compostability, & they tend to throw in whatever junk they have with them (cigarette packs, soda bottles, fastfood containers & leftovers) when they do their yardwork.

Although most bottles are plastic, beer bottles are glass, & glass is breakable, & it's better to be a little cautious.

What methods or tips can you share for gathering material for composting/gardening?

Comments (37)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm