SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alohomora8_

Is compost too rich for my fiddle leaf?

alohomora8_
7 years ago

Hello all!

Gardening newbies here. Our fiddle leaf plant has outgrown it's pot and we've been wanting to repot it for a while. We bought a bag of Miracle Gro all purpose compost yesterday thinking it was soil. I've never repotted a thing in my life and the instructions on the bag said we could simply fill around the root ball with the compost. We compromised by mixing in some potting mix we had on hand as the compost was quite expensive.

Unfortunately we didn't think to do more research BEFORE the repotting and since then i've read that we should only have done about 10 - 20% (Or less than 50%) compost and most of it should be potting soil... (It was a bigger pot and we did lay it kinda heavy with the compost as we were tempted with the promise of our plants growing twice it's size lol!!)

My question is, will too much of the compost end up killing the fiddle? I know they don't do well with too much moisture. The soil has stayed quite wet since yesterday so i'm afraid of root rot.. I think we put at least 60% compost around the root ball (not including the root ball of it's original soil). And also if I need to repot, what percentage of soil should we use? Any other advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!

Comments (9)