SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
morrighu_gw

Need Poo and Compost Badly

morrighu
16 years ago

We just bought a house in the Princeton, TX area (north of Allen and east of McKinney) and the soil here is awful. The best news is that I have 2 acres of this. Woot. No wonder there aren't any trees here. (Serious...two acres, west facing wall 'o windows... not a single tree).

I just got the soil test results back. It's obvious that this was commercial farm land. The nutrients are all horribly depleted and it's heavy clay. I think you could dig in our yard, wedge it, and make pottery. Nitrogen, Phosphate, and Potash are all so low that they barely registered on the test. I do mean heavy clay. The only good news is that the pH isn't too terrible at 7.1.

So, I'm on a mission to improve the soil. It needs help with nutrients, organic matter, texture. So, if anyone has any nearby poo, hay, leaves, wood chips, tree limbs I can run through the chipper, etc. I'm game to pick them up. I have a pickup and am happy to haul them off. If anyone knows of a good source for cubic yards of compost, I'd even be willing to purchase it. I also need sulphur, gypsum, and sand to help break up this clay, so if you know where I can get that in bulk as well....

Comments (5)