SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenper

Do you want to compost so badly that you buy materials?

gardenper
10 years ago

Edit: That should be "buy compost ingredients" since we know some people do "buy compost bins" or materials to make compost bins, etc

Recently, I have been thinking about some compost issues. At different times of the year, or even certain time of the growing season, I feel I didn't have enough materials for the compost pile. But the weird thing is that it's not composting for what I need today...it's definitely 6-12 months away. But I can't help thinking about what I need to put in today, so that it will be nice and good in a few months, or 1 year.

So that got me to thinking about coffee. I don't drink coffee, and my friends don't drink coffee, but even if they did, I'm not sure they'd like to be saving stuff for me. They can't even save their leaves for me. They do their leaves when they get to it and then they let the city take it away, because I had asked for the leaves 1 month or more ago, even offering to rake their leaves, and they forgot all about my request for their leaves later on.

Back to the coffee. So I was thinking, I don't drink coffee, but I could buy the coffee grounds, and just pour it in to the compost pile. Would that be OK or does it need to go through the brewing process first, to activate some component of the grounds to make it good for compost or worms?

Then I saw an online video about someone making a compost pile, and instead of using greens like veggie scraps or yard trimmings over a period of time, they were building the all-at-once compost pile. It means they got their browns in the fall by using leaves, but what to do about the greens? They went and bought about 200 pounds of rabbit-food alfalfa pellets and mixed it in.

It made me think -- ah, that's a good fast way to add in some greens, especially for lasagna gardening -- but also how many actually do go buy something like this to put in their compost piles?

This post was edited by gardenper on Thu, May 1, 14 at 10:58

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH