SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjames_gw

Got my flow thru up and going.

pjames
13 years ago

I just set up my first FT built from 2 Tidy cat litter buckets. I have 3 pvc rods with screws inserted at the bottom as a harvesting system. I think my whole out of pocket expense was like $9 for 2 similar systems.

I did find it fairly difficult to align the top bin with the bottom and insert holding screws. This was partially due to the narrower dimensions of the bottom of the top bin compared with top of the bottom bin. It did give me a fairly stable (so far) bin. I have about 18 inches depth of actual bedding. I could push this to 21 but have elected to leave the top 3 inches open for ventilation.

I covered the bottom with a single layer of newspaper and then wet the bedding with about 12 oz of water. It was already at what I considered adequate but I wanted extra water to saturate the bedding initially.

I've described my plans on a couple threads and have taken into account comments by others. Equinox_ I think you and I were trained by the same type person. Years ago I was told to look at what might go wrong and then do something to correct the problem. Alot of your comments confirmed my own thoughts.

Going to post observations for a while.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting