SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skeet_gw

Question, how to make the paint colors flow thru house

skeet
16 years ago

I'm retiring from my 24 year job as a police officer in a year and half. I will have to sell my 1964 rancher to move toward the Tennessee River to be near my family. So, the issue is, since I did apartment security for 10 years, all my apts. were painted white. I bought my first home in 1994 and all my furniture was basically the blue/beige/mauve/cherry/pine. I painted the entire house a Porter color called Sahara. It worked very well with my "country theme". That ended 9 years later. Sold all the furniture and had to start over.

Now, today, I own a 1964 ranch that is under 1300 s.f upstairs and a den/garage down stairs.

The carpet is light oatmeal, which I think I will have to replace. The original wood floors are gone in the living room due to a tornado in 1998. The owner had carpet put in the house, removed the flooring in the k/dr to put in laminate oak flooring in those rooms and down the hallway. So I can't replace the flooring in the k/dr/lr.

My question is how do you pick colors that will flow together to help me make the house look nice. Right now I have BM Baked Cumin in the LR, needs to go lighter. The k/dr combo is BM Olive Branch with all med oak cab,floors and furniture. There is a small hallway with 6 doorways, this hall is only about 10 ft long and it has 6 doors! Two Bed rooms to the left, bath and 3rd bedroom to the right.

I just don't know how to make the colors flow. I don't want to change the BM Olive Branch and am looking at EK Camelhair for the Living Room. I don't want to scare off buyers with the darker Baked Cumin and I know that it need to be lighter maybe the EK Camelhair, the furniture is a warm cherry. Any ideas on colors that will flow with the green. The house faces south with a deep front porch. One bedroom has dk espresso furniture, one has a brass bed and walnut armoire, the 3rd is my office with desk, a dresser/chest in a ivory country finish with pine tops.

Any ideas would be helpful. I know that this all sounds strange picking colors and then matching everything else to the paint. But I just want the house to flow and feel really warm/inviting. I have all 2009 to paint and get it ready for sale.

Karen

Nashville

Comments (14)