SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karendee_gw

had my first stragglers in the bottom of the flow thru

karendee
13 years ago

I am testing out the font colors and htmlÂ

I made this FT on mother's day so it is only ~1 mo old. So I am no expert but wanted to share my experiences. Please let me know if anything I did was incorrect so I can learn! .

I dumped it a week ago or so and then added cantaloupe slices to the top (couple at the bottom which may be the smell problem) that were pre-frozen and thawed. I also did add some leftover frozen corn to the mix when adding the cantaloupe but the corn was all gone. I guess worms love corn. .

Today I went to check. I have been busy so I have not checked on the worms in several days. .

The bottom of the FT had a piece of cardboard to soak any moisture and to provide a hiding spot for stragglers. I saw one on top of my cardboard and a lot of lechate (sp?) (This was the first time for any liquid at the bottom for me).I lifted the cardboard and saw more small worms. .

I decided to dump the bin and check it out to make sure the worms were ok. .

It was smelly and really wet. .

I guess I finally over fed! :) However I did not see any dead worms. Maybe the ones in the bottom liked the wet piece of cardboard more than the bin area? .

I reassembled the bin with a little less newspaper at the bottom. I had it really thick before and it was yucky! I also put some cardboard on top (1 layer ripped up). .

The bin was re-assembled with shredded cardboard/newspaper layered with the old bin contents. .

I also added 4 or 5 toilet paper rolls that had more tp rolls folded in several places. I thought this may work as a good nursery for the worms. (I saw the idea here somewhere. thanks to the person who posted it) .

I also ripped the yucky newspaper that was on the bars paper in smaller pieces. I did not take it out but mixed within the re assembled bin. (Some had cocoons in the layers) .

I also saw a baby see thru worm. I almost did not see him so I am sure there were more. .

I also saw black looking stuff/castings that looked almost good enough to throw on the garden but I decided to let the worms process it more. .

Most of the cantaloupe that was left was put back in the top section covered with lots of shredded paper/cardboard. .

I think all is much better now. I will hold off on feeding for a while since the cantaloupe was still there. I have a nice black banana in the freezer waiting for the next feeding. .

Sorry for the long post I wanted to share my experiences of overfeeding. Maybe my set up mistakes can help someone else. .

Karen .

PS: I hope the color changes did not give you a headache.

Comments (6)