SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rocksnmud

Some more questions

rocksnmud
10 years ago

Alrighty. I have tried looking through the archives, but couldnt find specific answers to these questions!

I have read that some people let things rot before feeding them to the worms.
My question about that is: what type of container? Any plastic/glass/ceramic container? I believe (if I read correctly), that it should not be air tight (due to anaerobic conditions), but what about a non-air-tight lid? Just somethign to keep it closed? (with holes punched in it?)

Also, I think that freezing things sounds like a good idea.
So my next question would be do I let things 'rot' before or after freezing? (if both are needed). Rotting before freezing seems counter productive, due to killing anything off... So I guess freeze-then-rot?

I have ordered "Worms eat my Garbage", but it has not arrived yet. So if any of my questions are answered in there, please bear with me!

I will be attending a class at a worm ranch, where I will obtain my first bin/worms.... however, I dont know if I will be making my bin, or given a pre-existing one.
I will assume I am creating my own.
My question is: what are some good 'first week' foods? Soft and mushy and rotted all seem a good idea.... For getting them started, I wouldnt be against buying a melon or something...

Next, back to the rotting. Would it be more productive (rot-productive, that is), to place it somewhere warm? (Such as by the fridge/heater/etc)

Summary of questions:
1) Details on 'rotting containter' (material/lid/airflow/etc)
2) Freezing before or after rotting?
3) good 'first week' foods?
4) Placement of the rotting bin, near warmth?

Thank you everyone!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm