SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_pettersson

Some seedling questions

david_pettersson
17 years ago

Hi,

Here is some more question about my seedlings. The seed was sown in pots with a mixture of perlite and vermeculite. I dipped the pots in tap-water, sow the seeds and let the water pour of for a while on newspapers. Each pot then went into a half transparent plastic bag in a eastern window. Half a meter above the pots there are a light tube of 13W lit daytime. The most developed cacti is so far a Lobivia with 4 areoles.

In one of the pots two cacti (Ferocactus horridus) developed red spots. One, with just one spot, seems unaffected of it and is growing just fine. One, with one of the spots at the "growing point", seems to die. What is this? No cacti in other pots seems to be affected even if its hard to tell, most are so small.

When should I start to water with nutrients? The perlite and vermeculite contain no nutrients if I got it right. How much should I dilute the nutrients. I 1/4 of normal dose fine if I dip the pot in water and put it on newspaper as the first time I watered, or?

Some cacti are growing upside down. I put them right as soon as I can which until now seems to work fine. Is this because I choosed too course (spell?, not fine enougth) mix. I just wonder since next year will be a new opportunity to do things right :)

/David

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!