SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kterlep

Why are some seedlings growing and some not?

kterlep
16 years ago

I have about 23 tomato plants set out in the garden since May 1. The weather has been wonderful and warm. (I'm in north central illinois). They are in a raised bed with drip irrigation.

9 of my plants I got in a collection on ebay with a very informative CD. I started them March 1, transplanted into cups, and planted May 1 but they were outside in a plastic container from April 22 to March 1 - I brought them in if it was cold. They are growing like weeds, lush, green. I have four bonnie plants (a Roma, a yellow tomato, a sweet 100 and an early cherry because I wanted to make sure we had some of those varieties) and the ones I grew have caught up to the Bonnie plants in 2 weeks. These were started in trays and transplanted to solo cups with the bottoms cut for drainage.

the other 9-10 of my plants are various heirlooms. One is Korney's Jelly Bean. I started these in newspaper pots (one half sheet of newspaper wrapped around a large pill bottle) - seeds planted APRIL 1. When I transplanted them (on May 1) they had one small set of true leaves. some have grown a little but the KJB and some others aren't budging. The cotyledons are purple, and the plant is obviously not happy. Did I do something to stunt the growth? They were not leggy, their first two weeks above soil they were in a sunroom, and then they were outside with the other plants from the 22nd April to the first of May (brought in if it was going to get cold).

Could the newspaper pots be inhibiting them? Just to give you an idea, I planted sweet and hot peppers at the same time, same method as these, and they are working on their second/third set of true leaves (they just started taking off this week)...

Is there something I can do to boost these, or is it normal? Should I avoid the newspaper in the future?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm