SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wilo_gw

Inspiration comes from strange places

wilo
14 years ago

Sooooo. . . I saw this in Goodwill and it just made me laugh and for two dollars, it was well worth it:

{{gwi:137910}}

I think it is supposed to be a peanut or candy dispenser and it is just missing the glass jar on top. I had originally thought I would cut out the guts and put a plant on top of his head and put it in my backyard for grins.

But THEN I was showing it to my younger sister and she said, "he needs a top hat." Instantly I knew what I was going to do with him. A friend had just replaced her porch columns and I snagged the cut off pieces and had planned to use them to sit plant pots on. Of course they were still in my garage.

{{gwi:137911}}

So after some drilling, some painting and some gluing, I came up with this:

{{gwi:137912}}

Yea, he's a bit dusty from sitting in my garage waiting to be put into place. In case you can't tell, it is a double decker birdhouse. I got wooden rounds (already cut) and put one on top, one in the middle of the two column pieces and a larger one for the brim of the hat. Because it is painted black, I'm going to put it in an evergreen tree so it won't get so hot. I just had to add the pipe, since I had this strange looking piece and it just screamed "pipe". My sister says he just needs a monocle and I can call him Mr. Peanut.

I hope he gave you a smile. He makes me smile. Now I just gotta get my son to help me get him into the tree so the birds can enjoy him.

Comments (2)