SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Epiphyte suggestions for a tree in 9b, CA?

mark4321_gw
14 years ago

I have a loquat tree that a Passiflora membranacea climbs. The Passiflora and the loquat are both pretty vigorous, so I have to constantly prune them. I decided I would have some fun and mount some epiphytes on the loquat as well.

The tree creates a lot of shade, but it can be thinned to increase the sunlight that reaches the inner branches. Still, it's probably best to think of the light levels as shady or dappled sun. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, in zone 9b (Sunset zone 15). We get essentially no summer rain, with Summer temps 80/55, Winter 60/40. The tree would protect against minor frost, I think.

I'm not looking for more common epiphytes, but things that are particularly bizarre, spectacular, or fun.

So far I do have some pretty ordinary things in the tree--a Davallia fern and a couple Tillandsias (I know there are some spectacular Tillandsias, but I'm told we are too cold for them (??).

I'm thinking about putting pieces of a couple other things I have, once they are better established. I don't know if these are practical or not (except for the last ones): Pleurothallis restrepioides, Apapetes serpens (or maybe 'Ludgvan Cross'), Australian dendrobiums (maybe 'Delicatum')...

I know that there are many bromeliads, ferns and orchids that would be candidates given our climate. I know that there are plenty of other plants as well. Things that can stand a couple degrees of frost or occasionally drying out would be ideal.

Again, I'm not looking for ordinary plants. If anyone has anything really cool they want to trade for, I have recently rooted the following, (and the roots are getting big enough they should be shipped in their containers):

Passiflora antioquiensis

Passiflora 'Mission Dolores' (parritae x antioquiensis)

Passiflora membranacea

Passiflora gritensis

Aristolochia trilobata

Aristolochia gigantea

Salvia dombeyi

Brugmansia vulcanicola (Strybing clone, now thought to be a hybrid with sanguinea)

Brugmansia sanguinea 'Inca Princess' (the yellow form)

I do have other things, and there are others I will be rooting soon (such as Passiflora exoniensis) or later in the year (Deppea splendens, Brugmansia vulcanicola (Zunac)).

I'm probably going to be very picky as to what I want to put in the tree, though...

Comments (6)