SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chagman88

Zone 9b Privacy Hedge along Fence - Pacific Wax Myrtle or pittosporum

Catie Hagman
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are looking to add privacy and improve the aesthetics of our fence line by adding a privacy

hedge. We are in Redwood City CA, zone 9b and would love to hear any suggestions for narrow privacy hedges that are moderate to fast growing.

Please excuse the embarrassing shape of our driveway - We need to redo it, but that is unfortunately not in the budget right now as we recently completed a significant remodel. In the mean time, we would like to plant a privacy hedge so it can start growing!

The fence is about 90 feet long, and is south facing. The picture was taken late in the afternoon, but it is very sunny for most of the day. Our house is from the 1920's and very high off of the ground so as you can see the current fence does very little for privacy between windows.

I think I would like to plant a hedge that will be at least 15 ft tall at maturity. Additionally since the driveway is narrow, it would need to have a pretty narrow profile. The area next to the fence is 25 inches. The driveway could accommodate a 3 ft hedge and still be able to park without issue. Additionally we never park in the second half of the driveway ( close to the garage) and are thinking of eventually converting that area into a garden/ play area for kids.

I was thinking of the pacific wax myrtle but am unclear on how closely it should be spaced to create a privacy hedge. I have read 8-10 feet, but then read that some posters who planted it that apart said it never filled in.

I am also interested in Pittosporum tenuifolium, I have heard great things about 'Silver Sheen', but have noticed that some hedges in my neighborhood never seemed to fill in very well and look woody/ don't provide much of a screen.

If you have any advice of plants that you recommend/ spacing, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Catie

Comments (18)