SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stitches216

Last Friday - Murder at NASA - beyond mere attempted

stitches216
17 years ago

I saw it with my own eyes. It was ghastly. Heartbreaking. Outrageous. The kind of tragedy that can leave a person who witnesses it changed forever, painfully, irreversibly.

Many GW members have no doubt heard about the NASA astronaut who has been charged with attempted murder.

But I saw actual murder at NASA. At the Space Center in Houston. Right out in broad daylight. Images brought to us by media simply cannot compare. This was sickening. More sickening to see how, over the past week, the deed has gone unreported, perhaps...covered up.

I'm talking full-blown, "first degree" CRAPE MURDER.

Whacked plants. "Abducted and beheaded." At least a dozen, probably more, crape myrtles at the Johnson Space Center suffered the ultimate humiliation short of annihilation. It was a mass abortion of natural majesty.

I'm not talking mere dwarfs cut to 6 inches. I'm talking 20-, 25-foot TREES (at least several of them). Three- and four-inch thick trunks or branches, sawn through - to use a term many might identify with from current events: "Britneyed." Only, this was involuntary.

I could not believe it. I work occasionally, and occasionally my work takes me out to JSC. They have this beautiful campus-like landscape with large artificial ponds and small streams, plus diverse wildlife, even deer. One who visits there often enough might even come to recognize "regulars" among the animals. My favorite has become "Tumor Duck" - one mallard drake with a knot on his head almost the size of - well, his head.

And until last Friday or sometime thereabouts, JSC had some of the local area's most picturesque crape myrtles.

But no more. Those CMs may as well be extraterrestrial mutants, monuments to plant-care stupidity of astronomical proportions. What was done to them ought to be a CRIME - or at least, an offense that warrants severe civil liabilities.

For a branch of the federal government that has as part of its mission "understanding our home planet," the sight of the whacked CMs was beyond disappointing. To think that NASA has perhaps caved-in to the rapacious winter job security rackets for the...let's call them "residentially transitory" landscape maintainers...erodes my confidence that the agency will ever get its act together well enough to lead us, through its (historically) distinctively excellent scientific ways, to a less polluted, more "footprint-light," human impact on the very environment, the preservation of which is absolutely necessary for our species' survival and sustenance.

How can anyone reasonably expect our human species to survive, let alone prosper, anywhere else on the Moon or beyond, when here on earth the evidence is so overwhelming that we are, in the aggregate sense at least, incorrigible "net destroyers" of everything we touch?! (Including our own kind.)

The 2007 Crape Murder at JSC just might be enough, even for me - despite how late in life and frail as I now am (and despite how shy I have always been) - to embark on one final, high-profile earthly quest: to push back on the visual pollution, real damage, and negligence to the biosphere that is evidenced by "landscape mismanagement."

Will I go to court and have NASA hauled in to defend itself? (as if its permission of the 2007 crape myrtle pruning is defensible!) Will I set up yet another non-profit "center" focused on education and advocacy, dedicated to bringing judicial and legislative action to bear on cases of environmental negligence? Will I take the "Ultimate Jackass Plunge" like one of my similarly superannuated close relatives recently did, and move from mere political consulting to outright political candidacy?

We'll see. But at JSC, the damage is done, and it cannot be undone. That negligence must not go unpunished. And our society's tolerance for continuation of such negligence must become ZERO.

Or else, we may as well simply "kick back;" take some more mind-altering, addictive drugs; tune-in to the imagery of some space telescope (assuming that such a machine that works can be built by hordes of drug and sex addicts); party like every day is Mardi Gras, in between bouts of gratuitous, pseudo-principled violence and oppression against one another and ourselves; and await (with wide eyes full of wonder and "righteous indignation") the inevitable arrival of that asteroid or comet that will put an end to our debaucherous, environmentally ruinous "Ground Hog Day" train wreck of history.

I just knew I should not have read that thread about the theft of the rose bushes...but I read it anyway.

Comments (21)