SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheri_z6

Favorite Books Read in 2015

sheri_z6
8 years ago

I'm back again with a list :)

This year I didn't have a lot of stand-out books on my list. But I did find a new-to-me author -- Ilona Andrews, a husband and wife writing team -- whose work I loved SO much that I read 23 of their urban fantasy books this year (everything they had in print) and I'm eagerly awaiting whatever they can deliver in 2016.

My other favorite author of the moment, Elizabeth Hunter, also kept me reading this year, and I finished 19 of her books and short stories (also urban fantasy).

Beyond that, here's my (very short) list of favorite books read this past year.

Please share yours!

How to Be Both by Ali Smith. I read this twice this year, first for the RP discussion and later with my local book group. I loved it both times, finding so much to enjoy in the cleverness of the writing and echoing plot lines. I know this cleverness was off-putting to a lot of readers, but for me it was terrific fun and my second reading was even better than the first.

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown. Similar to, but not the same as, Unbroken, this stirring tale of the 1936 American Olympic rowing team was a page-turner despite knowing right from the beginning how it was going to end. I thoroughly enjoyed this.

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikrey by Gabrielle Zevin. The story of a bookshop owner's return to life after the death of his wife was a delightful read, but as time has passed, I find I don't remember much of it, only that I liked it enough scribble some stars next to it on my "books read" list. Very enjoyable at the time, though evidently forgettable.

What were your favorites?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting