SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Your opinions needed....

bihai
18 years ago

Okay, I know I may be the only one here in this little band of folks that has kids, but I need opinions.

My daughter just turned 11. She's in the last throes of the 5th grade. Puberty is just around the corner. She's pretty tall for her age, she's 5 ft, has very large bone structure and is set to become a lovely young lady very soon (I, her mom, check in at only 5' 31/2" so she's gonna pass me soon).

She has apparently inherited my penchant for blatant individualism, as all she talks about is having her hair dyed with blue streaks. (I look at it this way, at least its hair dye...I had green hair and purple hair in my younger days meself...she doesn't want to get tatted up and pierced up like Ma because she's deathly afraid of needles).

None of her friends in the 5th grade have multicolor hair. A couple of the little boys have surfer doo's with little gelled up spikes that are tipped blonde but all the girls are au naturale on the hair. SOme of the mothers do allow their girls to wear colored lip gloss but so far no other makeup.

I actually support this individualism and think that we should let her do the Manic Panic thing. I mean, its HAIR. I color my hair all the time. You color it, it grows out, you cut it off or cover it up with another color. Hair is a transient thing. To me its made to be changeable! And, if she gets it and her friends laff at her, then she might realize blue hair is actually pretty retro punk and not really a current trend and get over it.

My husband, however, is extremely conservative about this stuff, and basically considers the matter non-negotiable. NO blue hair. NO eye shadow (I agree with that one) NO to everything she asks for like that.

I say we should let her experiment a little with non-important stuff, like her hair, and have the chance to be empowered to make a personal individual decision that is obviously very important to her, or later its gonna come back and bite us on the butt with rebelliousness.

AFter all, its going to be summer soon, she could have her blue hair over the summer and get it over with before school starts.

Should I fight this battle for my daughter? I feel I should intervene for her. WHat do you guys think? AM I asking for trouble?

Comments (9)