SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchen_phoenix

I'm really green, need help!

kitchen_phoenix
18 years ago

Hi, I really love reading this forum, and have found that you all are such helpful and knowledgeable people. It's time that I de-lurk, introduce myself and BEG for help :~)!

My name is Elaine and I've been known to have a brown thumb. Until recently, because I live in a condo, I thought the only way to get fresh veggies was to pay the high prices at my grocery store or farmers market. Then I noticed one of my neighbors had a container garden gone jungle on her patio. It was a thing of beauty; she even gave me seeds from her tomato plants. She was going to help me this year, but instead she moved.......dang it!

I need help and I need it fast! I'm so totally clueless as for what to do next. Here's what I've done so far:

I've started seedlings for yellow pear, red pear and tiny tim tomatoes, space master cucumbers, early California wonder peppers, black beauty zucchini (not looking too good!) and Kentucky wonder pole beans. I also have an assortment of herbs (they were SUPER easy!). I started everything in Jiffy-7 peat pots, committed seedling murder and thinned everything down to two plants each pot and have put a couple of the larger seedlings into a more spacious accommodation (tomatoes and herbs).

I'm concerned with a couple of things. First, my condo faces due west so we get tons of sunlight with NO shade. Have I picked the appropriate plants? They all say abundant sunshine, but I have to wonder if we get too much SS? Also, when do I commit the plants into their large pots and what size pot do I put them in. When watering, how do I know the difference between under watering and over watering? How do I know I've given them the exact amount they need? I suddenly feel like a new mother that has to check to make sure her kids breathing in the middle of the night.

Sorry about the long read, I'm just very anxious yet very excited as well!

Thanks!!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor