SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lionessrose

I did it! I am a new seedling Mommy :o)

lionessrose
18 years ago

Hello all. What a great forum. It has been a big help. The propagation experience has been a long and hard one. I am new to this, began my first propagation this summer with cuts. I have lost all but 2 of 20 softwood rose cuts. Each of the 20 had roots, grew new life and then died. Not sure what I did or didn't do right or wrong, I think they suffered the "dampening off" problem. They turned brown from the bottom of the stem first and then continued turning brown up the stem and died. I have now moved on to propagating from seed. I gathered my hips in September (of this year), I do not know what the mother plant(s) are, so all my babies will be unknown... I spent a day seeking out rose bushes around town with hips, asked the owner(s) of the bush if I could take the hips, gained permission and came home with a small bucket full of hips from several different locations. I now have 21 seedlings of 26, I have lost 5 of the 26. I had 9 new germinated seeds just planted yesterday and today. I went with the: clean seeds in peroxide solution, damp paper,plastic lidded container, place in bottom of refrigerator method... with a total of 35 germinated seeds in 12 weeks, with 50 or so more that have not yet germinated. For seedling watering I have been using the water/peroxide solution. Not sure if it is a good thing or not. Each seed has his/her own planter. Due to the cold weather I am using heating pads and I do use a grow light. My greenhouse, so to speak, is in my dining room in front of a window. I am not much of a photographer but gave it a try:Seedlings December 28th, 2005
{{gwi:1235677}}{{gwi:1245200}}
{{gwi:1245202}}
I can only hope I am a better seedling Mommy than a photographer :o) Thank you again for a great forum and letting me share. The Lioness

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor