SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alioca

FRAGRANT Roses! Hoping to find the perfect one for my yard

alioca
9 years ago

And I think I've come to the perfect place (I see you Strawberry!)

I've had a veggie garden the past few years and grew flowers for the first time this year. I was extremely disappointed in the lack of fragrance in the flowers I chose to grow (dahlias, snapdragons, zinnias, hydrangea). They were beautiful, don't get me wrong, but no fragrance. Everyone was trying to sniff my flowers! I don't want to disappoint next year.

I'm hoping to find a rose that will do well in my garden vs changing my garden drastically for the rose. My yard has some areas that are looser and some that are heavy clay. I want a few for the heavier clay area. I grew the dahlias there this year and they did GREAT but it was a real chore having to dig them out. I am confident it's the perfect spot for roses =D

My garden is zone 5b, Chicago area. As I mentioned it's a heavier soil. I have never had my soil tested but I know it's on the alkaline side. I was hoping to grow Annie L McDowell after seeing beautiful pictures and reviews on her scent but I also saw mention of not tolerating alkaline situations.

I'm not too picky on the appearance but double delight isn't my favorite.

Any ideas?! I attempted to ask Burlington and they said to find my local Rose Society..... not much luck online. Doesn't appear to be an active group but I'm hoping to find a lead here (that's you again Strawberry!)

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting