SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandy808

Would Like Organic way To Control Thrips And Blackspot

sandy808
16 years ago

Hi, I'm new on the organic forum, but participate on the Antique Roses Forum.

I have mostly antique roses, the chinas and teas, with a couple of noisettes. Most of these are trouble free, except that a few have been problematic because of thrips.

The other roses I grow are some David Austins, new this year, and not much of a problem so far. Some have thrips, but most don't show the damage too much.

I do have a dozen hybrid teas. They are pretty (without damage), but I am not willing to spray every week or two with chemicals in which I need a respirator and long sleeves, etc., in this awful heat. It's too hot for that even at sunset, and I am tired of it all. Several are infested constantly with thrips.

Are there sprays, or other products that you have used with success, where I will not need to "suit up" to use them?

The chili thrips seem to be gone, or at least drastically reduced now, but I'm still having horrible problems with the "normal" kind. I'm discouraged. I haven't used Orthene, or any other spray since March, and I don't want to, unless it is not harmful to me (so I can spray in my shorts and sleeveless tops),or to the beneficial insects. I am starting to get a balance of beneficial insects, so the main issue at this point is thrips. Orthene has only been used once in the past year, although a couple of times last year I used Conserve.

I'm sure blackspot is lurking, but that can be solved with planting mostly the tough OGRs.

Sandy

Comments (4)