SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Organic ways for pest control on roses

strawchicago z5
11 years ago

I would like to thank GatorRose for the clever trick of using STP to catch thrips. Here the thrips in sunny places are eaten by wasps, but I still have thrips in shady places with less wasps. For some reason I kept thinking that STP stand for "Sinking Toilet Paper" until I found that STP stands for a motor oil "Scientifically Treated Petroleum". Question: can I use petroleum jelly instead?

With the regard to JAPANESE BEETLES, this year they get drugged on Geraniums and I can smash them easier. I'll plant more Geraniums, Larkspur, and Four o'clocks. Catmint DOESN'T WORK in my garden, nor do marigolds and garlic chives. Other organic methods for pest control:

Posted by GatorRose none (My Page) on Sat, Jul 7, 12

"An unconventional method of helping to control thrips, is to use a red or blue solo cup, paint the outside of the cup with STP motor additive, turn the pot upside down on a stake near the rose of concern. I know this sounds wild...but trust me it works, the thrips stick to the STP and the cups if you hide them behind or in between bushes doesn't look too bad! "

Posted by mehearty So ME z5a (My Page) on Thu, May 19, 11

One year I planted 4 o'clocks throughout the beds. Supposedly, they are toxic to beetles, and the beetles adore them. ***evil laugh*** I didn't notice the population decreasing but I did see many beetle carcasses around the 4 o'clocks. **maniacal laugh**

Posted by Diffeq none (My Page) on Sat, May 19, 12 at 23:46

I found that putting 2 tablespoons of garlic powder into a spray bottle with water and spraying the plants causes the Japanese Beetles to leave and not come back.

Posted by GarrukBloomspeaker 4 (My Page) on Thu, Jul 5, 12

I have had great luck using geraniums and marigolds to keep them away. The Geraniums appear to create a very sedative-like effect, which makes removal a breeze.

Posted by Trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on Sun, Jan 1,

~ larkspur and four o clocks they attract and kill japanese beetles ~

I grow both and don't have too many JBs.

Posted by gardenguru1950 SunsetZ16 (My Page) on Sat, Aug 8

The most common "eater" of rose leaves in California is the Bristly Rose Slug, the larvae of the Rose Sawfly. The sawfly is a pudgy little wasp. It lays its eggs on the UNDERSIDES of the leaves and the caterpillars feed on the UNDERSIDES of the leaves. The rose slug is tiny, no more than 1/4-inch long and very slender, and it's the exact same pale green as the undersides of the leaves. It's the critter that "skelotinizes" rose leaves.

Posted by greenhaven N Illinois 4b-5a (My Page) on Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 7:37

Wasps are natural predators, so discouraging wasps hunting around your roses is ENcouraging rose slugs. Insecticidal soaps can work, but they take up to 24 hours to work and you do risk collateral damage to your "good" bugs, especially honeybees.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations