SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
singcharlene

Do kids need a lawn?

singcharlene
17 years ago

Hi,

We just moved to Colorado last fall into a 1972 fixer upper on two+ acres w/an incredible view (It's my dream house!).

The previous owners did a lot to the inside of the house (replaced electrical, plumbing, roof, etc.) We just had to do some minor updating. The kitchen wasn't updated though--original 70's style.

The landscaping is old & overgrown except for the lawns the previous owners spent a lot of time, money & water on. We put in a veggie garden and except for the perimeter of the house and down the driveway we'll leave most of the property natural. The wildflowers & prairie grasses are beautiful on their own.

The property has some great trees. I am ripping out the overgrown junipers & letting the two front lawns die on either side of the walkway (which is covered by a pergola with amazing old grapevines that gave us bags & bags last fall!) and will plant w/natives, xeriscaping & herbs.

We have our own private well and I have heard of neighbors wells drying up. Ours is doing fine w/good flow but water conservation is huge for me. My husband calls me the water knotzy.

The lawn in back is over 3500 sqft (I'm assuming is KBG) looks really bad despite watering. Every time those sprinklers run I cringe at the waste. This is where we spend our time & where the panoramic view of the mountains is (we also get blinded by the west setting sun as beautiful as it is).

BUT, I have an 8 year old and a new puppy & we entertain frequently w/lots of family/kids over that like to frolic around the yard, although they do that on the whole property not just the lawn. They really like the new veggie garden--that is worth the water to me. We also put in an archery/bb gun range, basketball hoop, & have a very long driveway on which to ride bikes & scooters up & down so it's not like they don't have anything to do.

Hubby, neighbors & most everybody else says keep the back lawn... I say stop watering now (it looks like *%#@ anyway) and figure out what to do after it dies. I think DH sees $$ signs in new hardscaping (that needs to be redone eventually). But if our well runs dry watering the silly lawn it's $20,000 to drill deeper.

Didn't meant to write a book! I would love some opinions on no lawn when you have children. And if we did rip it out, what to do with such a big space as a family?

Thank you!

Charlene

Comments (5)