SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
koolguymike

tricks i think i am learning...

koolguymike
17 years ago

this year i have noticed a few things;

the most recent is snails/slugs. i had a few smaller plants that were really getting picked on. the larger ones that got bothered really didnt slow thier growth but the smaller ones really seemed to be struggling. i had heard that copper wire will give them a mild shock. so i put some copper wire on the ground around the base of the plants in need. i also made sure no leave drooped to the ground. it seemed to stop them. seems to work.

i noticed the runt seedling i let grow is still an inch tall at 3 months old. its siblings are about a foot tall and really leafing out.

also peppers seem to be very very resiliant. if i had had room last winter i could have learned this earlier with some plants that i threw out. but i took cuttings of those plants and now i am abusing them. the pepper was a super chile. the cuttings once rooted and growing started to get neglected by me. they were under potted and under watered and lost leaves. lots of leaves. one day i noticed they all (5 cuttings/pleants) suddenly had 4-5 peppers each. lol. this was about 5 days before they got to go outside. they took a short day of sun then shade. the second day the same. the 3rd day they got planted. then the SUN and WIND hit. (about the same time chris planted and the same wind and sun). almost every leaf went white. silver white. the pepper stems burnt. the peppers burnt. i thought they will never survive. but they are really coming back now. time seems to tell huh.

i also know first hand how much of a difference in plant size you get by picking blooms and giving just a little nitrogen and epsom. just increadable.

one last thing. i had a few problem plants this year. i noticed quick they had either black flies larva or fungas gnats. anyway something just teaming in the soil. with 3 peppers and my avocado tree i put about an inch of sand on the top of the soil and just watered slowly through the sand. i read sand will stop these pest from surfcing to breath. anyway seemed to do the trick. 2 weeks or less later when i trancplated there seemed to be no pests and the plants seemded not to notice anything.

these are just some wandering observations

Michael

ps. OT but i am learning you cant plant too many sugar snap peas. i planted 3 times as many as last year and dont think any will make it into the house again this year. lol

Comments (12)

Sponsored