SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Forecast: Fire and Rain/Sleet/Snow

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

I know we have a couple of good days ahead of us before the weather changes, so I am going to prepare for the coming weather by adding a little more mulch to my shrub and perennial beds, and I am going to water well on Saturday. (more on that in a second)

Remember that cold plant roots freeze more easily than wet plant roots, so you might want to water your plants (especially those less than 3 years old because they are not really well-established yet). Don't forget the containers too because they dry out quickly when the cold north winds blow.

I am hoping to work the soil and plant the daffs on Saturday. Then I can water them in, mulch them, and wait for spring.

Saturday's weather could be scarey. Fire Danger on Saturday is currently forecast to be "Very High to Extreme" because the temps. will be fairly high and the winds will blow steadily at 30-35 mph, gusting to 50. So, that's the actual reason I'll water on Saturday instead of Sunday.

On Sunday, I might actually have to carry the potted brugs down into the tornado cellar where they will spend the rest of the winter keeping their roots warm. I've been putting it off because they are still blooming. I'm not sure the garage can keep them from freezing in the coming cold spell though.

Next week's forecasted cold and its' accompanying winds and precipitation sound horrible. Whatever happened to mild December weather? (sigh)

We have a gazillion wild birds at the feeders every day, and I imagine we'll really have a lot in next week's cold. I still have petunias and malva in the ground blooming, and a few dianthus, but the cold probably will take care of them.

Comment (1)