SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Ice/Sleet/Freezing Rain in Our Forecast

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
16 years ago

Guess what's in our forecast beginning late tonight (Thursday) and continuing throughout most of Friday? Yep. Oklahoma's answer to snow: freezing rain, sleet, etc. with maybe a little snow mixed in. Actually, we do get snow here in southern Oklahoma occasionally but, more often than not, we get sleet.

In the nine years we've lived here, we haven't had the severe damage many of you have experienced in recent years although we've been "iced in" a couple of days here and there. (One year there was severe ice storm damage as close as 2 miles north of us but it just barely missed us that time.)

So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the forecasters are wrong. However, they seem pretty sure of themselves on this one, having issued the severe weather alert on Wed. afternoon, which is lots of advance notice.

In the meantime, I guess I'll run to the store and get a few things later this morning. If the road ices up, our fire department will be out working accidents non-stop and I like to have big crockpots full of soup, stew, etc. at the station for the firefighters, as well as urns and thermos bottles of cocoa, coffee, and hot spiced cider accompanied by homemade cinnamon rolls and muffins.

I know our storm is forecast to begin sleeting in the Wichita Falls area and then move our way overnight.

Are the rest of you expecting the same type of icey stuff?

Dawn

Comments (5)