SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_b_in_wy

Thoughts on planting a slug trap crop?

mrs.b_in_wy
14 years ago

2009 was a banner slug year for me. I'd fought them with limited success in years past, but this year I lost pretty much every battle and the war to boot.

Beer traps, pounds and pounds of iron phosphate, night raids with ammonia-water (early morning as well), coffee grounds (I saw posters here suggest cold, caffeinated coffee. I'm adding that to my arsenal, too.), boards and rocks (flipped over in the daytime, with much stomping and/or ammonia-squirting)...hard to believe I can't remember some of the other methods I employed. Oh, yes. I even put the word out at work that people could bring me their unwanted snakes. Sadly, no one brought me any :(

Anyway, after searching "slug" in this forum and reading the first few pages of posts, I got to wondering if anyone has tried planting a slug trap crop. Maybe something like marigolds? Might a trap crop lure the buggers away from the beans and other favorite snacks? If it were something the slugs couldn't resist, maybe it would help concentrate them for my special "attention"?

If the idea is viable, what kind of spacing/placement of the trap crop would people suggest? One single row? Several feet (interplanted) in each row?

I do have a niggling concern that I might attract MORE slugs than ever (mainly from the lawn, I suspect, since areas bordering the lawn were hit hardest). On the other hand, if they're already there, maybe drawing them out where I can get 'em should to be my next strategy...

I appreciate anyone's input. Thanks!

Comments (2)