SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marketgardenernorthernca

Brussels sprouts as trap crop for aphids?

Hey folks,

I have some aphids hitting my brassicas, as they are wont to do. Not too bad though-I've managed with a good ladybug population and one application of pyrethrum. The only crop that was hit beyond saving is a bed of brussels sprouts. the aphids are real nasty on these guys because they get into the sprouts and i'm pretty much unable to wash them out, as you can with aphids on kale, even broccoli. One thing I've noticed, however, is that while the aphid infestation is going nuts on the brussels, the kale and cauliflower that are immediately neighboring the brussels are hardly affected. Like there are only a few aphids here and there. For one thing I think the kale and cauliflower are generally healthier/stronger plants... But I have a theory that the brussels are kind of acting like a trap crop for the aphids... Is that theory hogwash or is there something to it. I'm almost tempted to keep the brussels in to contain the aphid population. I worry that if I take them out the aphids will find a neighboring host. It's too bad that the trap crop is a marketable crop, but brussels don't even sell very well for me anyhow. what are y'all's thoughts?

Comment