SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angt29

Infested Joe Pye Weed

I got four Joe Pye Weed divisions from an old neighbor this spring. About a month after planting them, I noticed white patches on the leaves. I brought them to a local nursery, and she cut open the spot and found an insect crawling inside of it. So, I guess it is some type of leafminer or other insect that opens the leaves and lays eggs inside of them. She suggested just removing affected leaves, which I did. But every time I remove the affected leaves more and more appear to the point that the plants are very sparse, and even the ones I have left have small white spots, though I suspect they will get bigger as time goes on. I thought about digging them up, but I really like their appearance and height. I went to another nursery and she suggested a systemic insect drench. PLEASE do not lecture me about using them; I understand the downsides. I rarely if ever use chemicals, and I feel terribly guilty for using it, but I felt that if I could use it once or twice and eliminate the problem it would be worth it to keep the plants. I was at another nursery today and brought up the problem and the woman suggested just getting rid of the plants and said that I will have the problem year after year. I am NOT willing to constantly be using the drench.

Has anyone had experience with this? Can the problem be eliminated in an application or two, or will this be an ongoing problem that requires treatment every few months. If so, I will just remove them and try to find something else that is not as susceptible to insect infestations. She said Joe Pye is particularly susceptible. I'm concerned about it affecting other plants as well.

I've attached a picture of a leaf. Thanks very much.

Comments (4)