SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Yikes! Frost Advisory for NE OK and adjacent areas

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

Ooops! It's getting cold a little bit early, isn't it?

The NWS in Tulsa has issued a Frost Advisory for several counties in far northeastern Oklahoma and adjacent counties in adjoining states. The Frost Advisory is in effect from 1 a.m. through 9 a.m. tonight (OK, technically tomorrow morning since it begins after midnight).

You can click on the link below to see the areas included in the Frost Warning and can click on any 'blue' county to read the text of the frost warning.

Remember that temperatures DO NOT have to drop to 32 degrees for frost to form. Under certain conditions (low to no wind and clear skies, for example) frost can form even at 38 degrees. I've heard some people say it can form at 39 degrees, but I've seen it form here at our house many times at 38 and never at 39. Weather and frost can be tricky.

I know that in separate springs (and I think it was 2009 for George and 2007 or 2008 for me) both MacMex (George) in Tahlequah and I (in Marietta) have had a forecast low of about 50 degrees give us, instead, a low in the 30s with a frost. I don't know how it happened those two times that the forecast was such a dismal failure, but it shakes your faith in the weather forecast when you lose plants on what was supposed to be a 50-degree night.

Be sure to cover up or bring inside all tender vegetation you wish to protect from the potentially cold temps and/or frost!

It just seems too early for a Frost Warning, but we surely cannot control the weather.

Tulsa, by the way, set a new official record low for 10-3 this morning with an official reading of 37. Tulsa has a forecast low of 39 degrees forecast for tomorrow morning.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Webpage of the NWS Tulsa office

Comments (11)