SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desertgroove

tomatoes and eggplant won't set fruit

DesertGroove
9 years ago

I moved into an apt with a tiny patio garden that had been used by the previous tenant(s). This is within blocks of the Rio Grande in the desert of South Central NM. The soil is sandy, not caliche.

I dug it up and amended it with some bagged garden soil, peat moss, and then planted tomatoe plants, eggplant, bell pepper, and cucumber, green bean, Nastursium, and various herb seeds, and fertilized the whole shebang. Now, a month and a half later, since the beginning of the monsoon season, the first week of July, the weather has cooled, and the plants have grown by leaps and bounds and have lots of blossoms on them, (it is mid-August), but haven't been setting fruit, except for the bell pepper plant which has several little bells coming on. The Eggplant keeps dropping blossoms.

Another mysterious thing, I've never had issues growing nastursiums or herbs anywhere I've lived, but here, the seeds sprout and then remain minature and don't grow even in fertilzed soil. What could be causing these strange issues.

Comments (5)