SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knoxvillegardener

Excessive heat permanently stopping tomatoes setting fruit

knoxvillegardener
11 years ago

We are about to have a nasty and prolonged heatwave here in the Knoxville, TN area (and much of the rest of the South).

I've been told that if the overnight low doesn't get down to at least 72F or lower for three or more nights in a row, tomatoes will stop setting fruit - as in completely stop. Even if cools down after that, you might as well rip them up because they won't produce anything pretty much no matter what. In this area, tomatoes will most often go the whole way through the summer, although some summers we have a heatwave that stops further production.

The heatwave we're about to get will likely be fatal to further tomato production.

Now here's my question: What about tomatoes in containers that are brought into the house until the heatwave subsides? The house won't get down to 72F overnight but it won't be in the 90s during the day, either. (Figure on 75 to 78F pretty consistently.)

Will the cooler daytime temperatures reduce the need for lower temperatures at night and they'll still keep going, or will this be the end of the tomatoes?

Thanks for any insight anyone can give me!

Comments (8)