SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
centxgrdnr

Overrun with Spider Mites...

centxgrdnr
13 years ago

...and at my wits end. I'm about to pull up everything in my garden - except that I have devoted a LOT of time to battling these things and it would be all for naught.

First they took advantage of me going out of town for 3 days and I could never get a handle on them in my beans. I pulled them up and quarantined the plant remains. I have not replanted in those areas.

I then found where they were living in the pin oak trees and promptly began spraying them (and everythign else in the yard) with light oil spray. About every 5-7 days. They ignore it...

They continue to attack on a daily basis -- and no matter what I do, they keep at it. My tomatoes are tall but with few leaves as I try to prune the damage. I still get beautiful blossoms -- and within 2 days, they have attacked the blossoms which then wilt and fall off.

I had some beautiful cucumber plants -- which are now struggling to live because of the leaf damage. Again, I get a ton of blossoms -- which are then attacked along with the baby cukes. They turn yellow, shrivel and die on the vine before ever get a chance.

I have worked and prayed over my last chance okra grove. But, it seems that it too is involved in the battle. And the red spidermites seem to have come out for this feast!

I'm again on the verge of tears as I spent another 4 hours squishing these damn bugs from the leaves of my okra. And there are about a bazillion little nodules in the layers of the leaves.....I'm guessing EGGS. Everyone has beautiful vegetables -- and I have harvested NOTHING since my trip 6 weeks ago. Yet, I spray and spray and pick and squish and search and DREAM about these damn little bugs!

I don't know what else to do....and trust me I've tried it all (except chemical)- beneficials, oil, soap, find and squish, garlic and pepper, Garret Juick and orange oil....

The soil is good - compost topping. I use Medina and Ladybug products.

I'm desperate - does anyone have ANY other suggestion before I pull it all up??? I'll try anything - except putting chemical poisons in my yard/garden. If there is nothing - it all gets pulled up next weekend. Maybe the tears I'll cry doing it will "sanitize" the soil -- HA!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz