SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmarks_gw

My ornamental pear tree is toast!

lmarks
14 years ago

In front of my home in Brooklyn, the city planted an ornamental flowering pear tree in the sidewalk tree pit. For several years it did fine. Then suddenly, this year, right before it was supposed to flower, every single bud on the tree turned brown and shriveled up. No flowers or leaves appeared, even after the other pear trees on the block had fully leafed out. I called the city to let them know, and they sent some guys who just showed up one day and cut the tree down. I asked the "demo crew" if they thought a pest or disease was responsible. They said, "It could have been anything, dog pee, road salt..."

Well, I'm hoping to find a more specific answer, especially since the city will (hopefully) be planting another tree soon in the same spot. If there is a pest/disease problem, I'd like to get it identified and cleared up so it doesn't become a problem with the new tree or the other trees on the block.

I should add that while most other pear trees on our block look healthy, the one next door to ours (which is the same age as our former tree) looks like half the tree is suffering from the same problem that ours had, although the other half of it has leafed out.

Has anyone seen this kind of thing before? What's the verdict: pest/disease, or just a reaction to tough street conditions? We did have some crazy weather this spring, careening between extremes of warmth and cold, so is it possible that the buds just froze off? But if so, why are the pear trees down the block doing fine?

Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)