SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bagfashionista

Ornamental Flowering tree --- pear??

12 years ago

I have this tree in the backyard that's been there when i bought the house about 5 years ago...I've decided to plant some hostas around the base of it, but halfway through was scared of ruining the tree -- it has big roots that are exposed which i am not sure if the tree naturally does it, or its because of soil erosion, since it's on a ledge (see pic)

i've looked online and believe that it's a flowering pear tree...but what kind?? Most of the information i've looked up seem to point to it as a bradford pear, but it also says that the bradford pear flowers has a not-so-nice smell, and that it is very prone to breaking in bad weather.

i've never noticed a smell (and i have a picnic table right under it) and it has survived many massive storms that CT had last year without much, if any damage (watch, now i'm jinxing myself)

so...what kind of tree is it? did i make a huge mistake digging around the base to plant shade varieties? I did notice a LOT of small roots while digging, and have ended using a very small hand shovel and mostly my fingers/hands to make the holes. Also, I've applied mulch to the base and surrounding area for the first time since i've lived here....i just want to make sure that i'm not making the wrong decisions here and end up killing it when it has flourished with my negligence for the past 5 years.

Image link:

Comments (7)